Aberrant development of excitatory circuits to inhibitory neurons in the primary visual cortex after neonatal binocular enucleation
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe development of GABAergic interneurons is important for the functional maturation of cortical circuits. After migrating into the cortex, GABAergic interneurons start to receive glutamatergic connections from cortical excitatory neurons and thus gradually become integrated into cortical circuits. These glutamatergic connections are mediated by glutamate receptors including AMPA and NMDA receptors and the ratio of AMPA to NMDA receptors decreases during development. Since previous studies have shown that retinal input can regulate the early development of connections along the visual pathway, we investigated if the maturation of glutamatergic inputs to GABAergic interneurons in the visual cortex requires retinal input. We mapped the spatial pattern of glutamatergic connections to layer 4 (L4) GABAergic interneurons in mouse visual cortex at around postnatal day (P) 16 by laser-scanning photostimulation and investigated the effect of binocular enucleations at P1/P2 on these patterns. Gad2-positive interneurons in enucleated animals showed an increased fraction of AMPAR-mediated input from L2/3 and a decreased fraction of input from L5/6. Parvalbumin-expressing (PV) interneurons showed similar changes in relative connectivity. NMDAR-only input was largely unchanged by enucleation. Our results show that retinal input sculpts the integration of interneurons into V1 circuits and suggest that the development of AMPAR- and NMDAR-only connections might be regulated differently. Copyright 2021, The Author(s).
SponsorsSupported by NIH R01DC009607 (POK) and R01GM056481 (JPYK).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15170
- Input-specific maturation of NMDAR-mediated transmission onto parvalbumin-expressing interneurons in layers 2/3 of the visual cortex.
- Authors: Ferrer C, Hsieh H, Wollmuth LP
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 1
- Distinct Translaminar Glutamatergic Circuits to GABAergic Interneurons in the Neonatal Auditory Cortex.
- Authors: Deng R, Kao JPY, Kanold PO
- Issue date: 2017 May 9
- Tonic Activation of GluN2C/GluN2D-Containing NMDA Receptors by Ambient Glutamate Facilitates Cortical Interneuron Maturation.
- Authors: Hanson E, Armbruster M, Lau LA, Sommer ME, Klaft ZJ, Swanger SA, Traynelis SF, Moss SJ, Noubary F, Chadchankar J, Dulla CG
- Issue date: 2019 May 8
- Cell Type-Specific Circuit Mapping Reveals the Presynaptic Connectivity of Developing Cortical Circuits.
- Authors: Cocas LA, Fernandez G, Barch M, Doll J, Zamora Diaz I, Pleasure SJ
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 16
- Expression pattern of membrane-associated guanylate kinases in interneurons of the visual cortex.
- Authors: Akgul G, Wollmuth LP
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 15