Structural basis of the dynamic human CEACAM1 monomer-dimer equilibrium
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman (h) carcinoembryonic antigen-related cell adhesion molecule 1 (CEACAM1) function depends upon IgV-mediated homodimerization or heterodimerization with host ligands, including hCEACAM5, hTIM-3, PD-1, and a variety of microbial pathogens. However, there is little structural information available on how hCEACAM1 transitions between monomeric and dimeric states which in the latter case is critical for initiating hCEACAM1 activities. We therefore mutated residues within the hCEACAM1 IgV GFCC? face including V39, I91, N97, and E99 and examined hCEACAM1 IgV monomer-homodimer exchange using differential scanning fluorimetry, multi-angle light scattering, X-ray crystallography and/or nuclear magnetic resonance. From these studies, we describe hCEACAM1 homodimeric, monomeric and transition states at atomic resolution and its conformational behavior in solution through NMR assignment of the wildtype (WT) hCEACAM1 IgV dimer and N97A mutant monomer. These studies reveal the flexibility of the GFCC' face and its important role in governing the formation of hCEACAM1 dimers and selective heterodimers. Copyright 2021, The Author(s).
SponsorsThis work was supported by the NIH Grant 5R01DK051362-21 and the High Pointe Foundation to R.S.B., and 5P01AI073748-09 to V.K.K.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15163
- Glycosylation Alters Dimerization Properties of a Cell-surface Signaling Protein, Carcinoembryonic Antigen-related Cell Adhesion Molecule 1 (CEACAM1).
- Authors: Zhuo Y, Yang JY, Moremen KW, Prestegard JH
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 16
- Apical expression of human full-length hCEACAM1-4L protein renders the Madin Darby Canine Kidney cells responsive to lipopolysaccharide leading to TLR4-dependent Erk1/2 and p38 MAPK signalling.
- Authors: Liévin-Le Moal V, Beau I, Rougeaux C, Kansau I, Fabrega S, Brice C, Korotkova N, Moseley SL, Servin AL
- Issue date: 2011 May
- Inside-out signaling promotes dynamic changes in the carcinoembryonic antigen-related cellular adhesion molecule 1 (CEACAM1) oligomeric state to control its cell adhesion properties.
- Authors: Patel PC, Lee HS, Ming AY, Rath A, Deber CM, Yip CM, Rocheleau JV, Gray-Owen SD
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 11
- Diverse oligomeric states of CEACAM IgV domains.
- Authors: Bonsor DA, Günther S, Beadenkopf R, Beckett D, Sundberg EJ
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 3
- CEACAM1 regulates TIM-3-mediated tolerance and exhaustion.
- Authors: Huang YH, Zhu C, Kondo Y, Anderson AC, Gandhi A, Russell A, Dougan SK, Petersen BS, Melum E, Pertel T, Clayton KL, Raab M, Chen Q, Beauchemin N, Yazaki PJ, Pyzik M, Ostrowski MA, Glickman JN, Rudd CE, Ploegh HL, Franke A, Petsko GA, Kuchroo VK, Blumberg RS
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 15