A Simple Model for the Total Number of SARS-CoV-2 Infections on a National Level
JournalEpidemiology and Infection
PublisherCambridge University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study aimed to identify appropriate simple mathematical model to fit the number of COVID-19 cases at the national level for the early portion of the pandemic, before significant public health interventions could be enacted. The total number of cases for the COVID-19 epidemic over time in 28 countries was analyzed and fit to several simple rate models. The resulting model parameters were used to extrapolate projections for more recent data. While the Gompertz growth model (mean R2 = 0.998) best fit the current data, uncertainties in the eventual case limit introduced significant model errors. However, the quadratic rate model (mean R2 = 0.992) fit the current data best for 25 (89 %) countries as determined by R2 values. Projection to the future using the simple quadratic model accurately forecast the number of future total number of cases 50% of the time up to 10 days in advance. Extrapolation to the future with the simple exponential model significantly over predicted the total number of future cases. These results demonstrate that accurate future predictions of the case load in a given country can be made using this very simple model.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15080
- Travel-related control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic: a rapid review.
- Authors: Burns J, Movsisyan A, Stratil JM, Coenen M, Emmert-Fees KM, Geffert K, Hoffmann S, Horstick O, Laxy M, Pfadenhauer LM, von Philipsborn P, Sell K, Voss S, Rehfuess E
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 5
- Phenomenological Modelling of COVID-19 Epidemics in Sri Lanka, Italy, the United States, and Hebei Province of China.
- Authors: Attanayake AMCH, Perera SSN, Jayasinghe S
- Issue date: 2020
- International travel-related control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic: a rapid review.
- Authors: Burns J, Movsisyan A, Stratil JM, Biallas RL, Coenen M, Emmert-Fees KM, Geffert K, Hoffmann S, Horstick O, Laxy M, Klinger C, Kratzer S, Litwin T, Norris S, Pfadenhauer LM, von Philipsborn P, Sell K, Stadelmaier J, Verboom B, Voss S, Wabnitz K, Rehfuess E
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 25
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of four different strategies for SARS-CoV-2 surveillance in the general population (CoV-Surv Study): a structured summary of a study protocol for a cluster-randomised, two-factorial controlled trial.
- Authors: Deckert A, Anders S, de Allegri M, Nguyen HT, Souares A, McMahon S, Boerner K, Meurer M, Herbst K, Sand M, Koeppel L, Siems T, Brugnara L, Brenner S, Burk R, Lou D, Kirrmaier D, Duan Y, Ovchinnikova S, Marx M, Kräusslich HG, Knop M, Bärnighausen T, Denkinger C
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 8
- Impact of lockdown on Covid-19 case fatality rate and viral mutations spread in 7 countries in Europe and North America.
- Authors: Pachetti M, Marini B, Giudici F, Benedetti F, Angeletti S, Ciccozzi M, Masciovecchio C, Ippodrino R, Zella D
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 2