JournalJournal of Biological Chemistry
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus are opportunistic bacterial pathogens that cause severe infections in immunocompromised individuals and patients with cystic fibrosis. Both P. aeruginosa and S. aureus require iron to infect the mammalian host. To obtain iron, these pathogens may rely on siderophore-mediated ferric iron uptake, ferrous iron uptake, or heme uptake at different points during infection. The preferred iron source depends on environmental conditions, including the presence of ironsequestering host-defense proteins. Here, we investigate how the presence of heme, a highly relevant iron source during infection, affects bacterial responses to iron withholding by the innate immune protein calprotectin (CP). Prior work has shown that P. aeruginosa is starved of iron in the presence of CP. We report that P. aeruginosa upregulates expression of heme uptake machinery in response to CP. Furthermore, we show that heme protects P. aeruginosa from CP-mediated inhibition of iron uptake and iron-starvation responses. We extend our study to a second bacterial pathogen, S. aureus, and demonstrate that CP also inhibits iron uptake and induces iron-starvation responses by this pathogen. Similarly to P. aeruginosa, we show that heme protects S. aureus from CP-mediated inhibition of iron uptake and iron-starvation responses. These findings expand our understanding of microbial responses to iron sequestration by CP and highlight the importance of heme utilization for bacterial adaptation to host iron-withholding strategies. © 2021 The Authors.
Rights/TermsPublished under license by The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc.
KeywordPseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa)
Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15050
- The human innate immune protein calprotectin induces iron starvation responses in <i>Pseudomonas aeruginosa</i>.
- Authors: Zygiel EM, Nelson CE, Brewer LK, Oglesby-Sherrouse AG, Nolan EM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 8
- Exploring Iron Withholding by the Innate Immune Protein Human Calprotectin.
- Authors: Zygiel EM, Nolan EM
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 20
- Within-host evolution of Pseudomonas aeruginosa reveals adaptation toward iron acquisition from hemoglobin.
- Authors: Marvig RL, Damkiær S, Khademi SM, Markussen TM, Molin S, Jelsbak L
- Issue date: 2014 May 6
- Calprotectin-Mediated Zinc Chelation Inhibits Pseudomonas aeruginosa Protease Activity in Cystic Fibrosis Sputum.
- Authors: Vermilyea DM, Crocker AW, Gifford AH, Hogan DA
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 8
- Exogenous Alginate Protects Staphylococcus aureus from Killing by Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Price CE, Brown DG, Limoli DH, Phelan VV, O'Toole GA
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 26