The evolving treatment landscape of pulmonary arterial hypertension
JournalAmerican Journal of Managed Care
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a severe disease with poor prognosis and shortened life expectancy. Treatment has traditionally involved the sequential use of endothelin receptor agonists, prostacyclin therapies, and nitric oxide pathway modulators, which each have distinct mechanisms of action leading to pulmonary vasodilation, and improvement in exercise capacity, hemodynamic measures, and clinical outcomes for patients with PAH. This article provides a review of goals of therapy in PAH, determinants of prognosis and levels of patient risk, and additional factors that guide treatment decision making. Recent research in combination therapies has created a paradigm shift in the treatment of PAH and will be reviewed. Additionally, recent updates to the American College of Chest Physicians guidelines will be reviewed along with the updated evidence-based treatment algorithm. Finally, trial data will be evaluated for the recently developed agent selexipag and improved treprostinil delivery formulations that may provide enhanced convenience.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15047
- A Special Focus on Selexipag - Treatment of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension.
- Authors: Sorensen LM, Wehland M, Kruger M, Simonsen U, Nassef MZ, Infanger M, Grimm D
- Issue date: 2017
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: new insights into the optimal role of current and emerging prostacyclin therapies.
- Authors: Waxman AB, Zamanian RT
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 4
- Safety and tolerability of transition from inhaled treprostinil to oral selexipag in pulmonary arterial hypertension: Results from the TRANSIT-1 study.
- Authors: Frost A, Janmohamed M, Fritz JS, McConnell JW, Poch D, Fortin TA, Miller CE, Chin KM, Fisher M, Eggert M, McEvoy C, Benza RL, Farber HW, Kim NH, Pfister T, Shiraga Y, McLaughlin V
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- New Therapeutic Paradigms and Guidelines in the Management of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension.
- Authors: Hill NS, Cawley MJ, Heggen-Peay CL
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Selexipag for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Authors: Sharma K
- Issue date: 2016