Glycoengineering Human Neural and Adipose Stem Cells with Novel Thiol-Modified -Acetylmannosamine (ManNAc) Analogs
Saeui, Christopher T
Yarema, Kevin J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis report describes novel thiol-modified N-acetylmannosamine (ManNAc) analogs that extend metabolic glycoengineering (MGE) applications of Ac5ManNTGc, a non-natural monosaccharide that metabolically installs the thio-glycolyl of sialic acid into human glycoconjugates. We previously found that Ac5ManNTGc elicited non-canonical activation of Wnt signaling in human embryoid body derived (hEBD) cells but only in the presence of a high affinity, chemically compatible scaffold. Our new analogs Ac5ManNTProp and Ac5ManNTBut overcome the requirement for a complementary scaffold by displaying thiol groups on longer, N-acyl linker arms, thereby presumably increasing their ability to interact and crosslink with surrounding thiols. These new analogs showed increased potency in human neural stem cells (hNSCs) and human adipose stem cells (hASCs). In the hNSCs, Ac5ManNTProp upregulated biochemical endpoints consistent with Wnt signaling in the absence of a thiol-reactive scaffold. In the hASCs, both Ac5ManNTProp and Ac5ManNTBut suppressed adipogenic differentiation, with Ac5ManNTBut providing a more potent response, and they did not interfere with differentiation to a glial lineage (Schwann cells). These results expand the horizon for using MGE in regenerative medicine by providing new tools (Ac5ManNTProp and Ac5ManNTBut) for manipulating human stem cells.
KeywordN-acetylmannosamine (ManNAc) analogs
adipose stem cell glycoengineering
neural stem cell glycoengineering
stem cell differentiation
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/15017
- Sialic acid glycoengineering using N-acetylmannosamine and sialic acid analogs.
- Authors: Moons SJ, Adema GJ, Derks MT, Boltje TJ, Büll C
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Metabolic Glycoengineering with N-Acyl Side Chain Modified Mannosamines.
- Authors: Wratil PR, Horstkorte R, Reutter W
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 8
- Characterization of the metabolic flux and apoptotic effects of O-hydroxyl- and N-acyl-modified N-acetylmannosamine analogs in Jurkat cells.
- Authors: Kim EJ, Sampathkumar SG, Jones MB, Rhee JK, Baskaran G, Goon S, Yarema KJ
- Issue date: 2004 Apr 30
- Metabolic Glycoengineering of Sialic Acid Using N-acyl-modified Mannosamines.
- Authors: Wratil PR, Horstkorte R
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 25
- Integration of genetic and metabolic features related to sialic acid metabolism distinguishes human breast cell subtypes.
- Authors: Saeui CT, Nairn AV, Galizzi M, Douville C, Gowda P, Park M, Dharmarha V, Shah SR, Clarke A, Austin M, Moremen KW, Yarema KJ
- Issue date: 2018