Clinical Endpoints for Evaluating Efficacy in COVID-19 Vaccine Trials
AuthorMehrotra, Devan V
Janes, Holly E
Fleming, Thomas R
Annunziato, Paula W
Neuzil, Kathleen M
Carpp, Lindsay N
Brown, Elizabeth R
Fay, Michael P
Cohen, Myron S
Gilbert, Peter B
JournalAnnals of Internal Medicine
PublisherAmerican College of Physicians
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSeveral vaccine candidates to protect against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection or coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) have entered or will soon enter large-scale, phase 3, placebo-controlled randomized clinical trials. To facilitate harmonized evaluation and comparison of the efficacy of these vaccines, a general set of clinical endpoints is proposed, along with considerations to guide the selection of the primary endpoints on the basis of clinical and statistical reasoning. The plausibility that vaccine protection against symptomatic COVID-19 could be accompanied by a shift toward more SARS-CoV-2 infections that are asymptomatic is highlighted, as well as the potential implications of such a shift.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14968
- Immunological surrogate endpoints of COVID-2019 vaccines: the evidence we have versus the evidence we need.
- Authors: Jin P, Li J, Pan H, Wu Y, Zhu F
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 2
- [Repurposing of chlorpromazine in COVID-19 treatment: the reCoVery study].
- Authors: Plaze M, Attali D, Petit AC, Blatzer M, Simon-Loriere E, Vinckier F, Cachia A, Chrétien F, Gaillard R
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Efficacy and Safety of the mRNA-1273 SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine.
- Authors: Baden LR, El Sahly HM, Essink B, Kotloff K, Frey S, Novak R, Diemert D, Spector SA, Rouphael N, Creech CB, McGettigan J, Khetan S, Segall N, Solis J, Brosz A, Fierro C, Schwartz H, Neuzil K, Corey L, Gilbert P, Janes H, Follmann D, Marovich M, Mascola J, Polakowski L, Ledgerwood J, Graham BS, Bennett H, Pajon R, Knightly C, Leav B, Deng W, Zhou H, Han S, Ivarsson M, Miller J, Zaks T, COVE Study Group.
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 4
- Frontrunners in the race to develop a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine.
- Authors: Russell RL, Pelka P, Mark BL
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- A Review of the Progress and Challenges of Developing a Vaccine for COVID-19.
- Authors: Sharma O, Sultan AA, Ding H, Triggle CR
- Issue date: 2020