Delayed Spontaneous Bilateral Pneumothorax in a Previously Healthy Nonventilated COVID-19 Patient
AuthorHuis In 't Veld, Maite A
Ten Kortenaar, Suzanne W
Bodifee, Thomas M
JournalJournal of Emergency Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a recent viral outbreak that has rapidly spread to multiple countries worldwide. Little is known about COVID-19 infection-related complications. Case Report: We report a patient who developed spontaneous bilateral pneumothorax after a recent COVID-19 infection. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of spontaneous bilateral pneumothorax in a patient with recent confirmed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 infection without any risk factors for pneumothorax and who had not received positive pressure ventilation. Why Should an Emergency Physician Be Aware of This?: There may be a possible correlation between a recent COVID-19 infection and the development of spontaneous pneumothorax. The diagnosis of spontaneous pneumothorax should be considered in any patient with known or suspected recent COVID-19 infection who presents with new acute symptoms consistent with pneumothorax or sudden clinical deterioration.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14966
- Case Report: Massive Spontaneous Pneumothorax-A Rare Form of Presentation for Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia.
- Authors: Marza AM, Petrica A, Buleu FN, Mederle OA
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 20
- Pneumothorax in a COVID-19 Pneumonia Patient without Underlying Risk Factors.
- Authors: Yamaya T, Baba T, Hagiwara E, Ikeda S, Niwa T, Kitayama T, Murohashi K, Higa K, Sato Y, Ogura T
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 15
- Case Report: COVID-19-Related Pneumothorax-Case Series Highlighting a Significant Complication.
- Authors: Al-Shokri SD, Ahmed AOE, Saleh AO, AbouKamar M, Ahmed K, Mohamed MFH
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum, pneumopericardium, pneumothorax and subcutaneous emphysema in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, a case report.
- Authors: Hazariwala V, Hadid H, Kirsch D, Big C
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 7
- Case Report: COVID-19-Associated Bilateral Spontaneous Pneumothorax-A Literature Review.
- Authors: Alhakeem A, Khan MM, Al Soub H, Yousaf Z
- Issue date: 2020 Sep