Delayed Spontaneous Bilateral Pneumothorax in a Previously Healthy Nonventilated COVID-19 Patient
AuthorHuis In 't Veld, Maite A
Ten Kortenaar, Suzanne W
Bodifee, Thomas M
JournalJournal of Emergency Medicine
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a recent viral outbreak that has rapidly spread to multiple countries worldwide. Little is known about COVID-19 infection-related complications. Case Report: We report a patient who developed spontaneous bilateral pneumothorax after a recent COVID-19 infection. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of spontaneous bilateral pneumothorax in a patient with recent confirmed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 infection without any risk factors for pneumothorax and who had not received positive pressure ventilation. Why Should an Emergency Physician Be Aware of This?: There may be a possible correlation between a recent COVID-19 infection and the development of spontaneous pneumothorax. The diagnosis of spontaneous pneumothorax should be considered in any patient with known or suspected recent COVID-19 infection who presents with new acute symptoms consistent with pneumothorax or sudden clinical deterioration.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14966
- Case Report: Massive Spontaneous Pneumothorax-A Rare Form of Presentation for Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia.
- Authors: Marza AM, Petrica A, Buleu FN, Mederle OA
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 20
- Bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax in SARS-CoV-2 infection: A very rare, life-threatening complication.
- Authors: González-Pacheco H, Gopar-Nieto R, Jiménez-Rodríguez GM, Manzur-Sandoval D, Sandoval J, Arias-Mendoza A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- A Case of Spontaneous Pneumothorax 21 Days After Diagnosis of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pneumonia.
- Authors: Abushahin A, Degliuomini J, Aronow WS, Newman T
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 15
- Spontaneous pneumomediastinum, pneumopericardium, pneumothorax and subcutaneous emphysema in patients with COVID-19 pneumonia, a case report.
- Authors: Hazariwala V, Hadid H, Kirsch D, Big C
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 7
- The coronavirus diseases 2019 (COVID-19) pneumonia with spontaneous pneumothorax: a case report.
- Authors: Chen X, Zhang G, Tang Y, Peng Z, Pan H
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 9