The effect of COVID-19 stay-at-home order and campus closure on the prevalence of acute respiratory infection symptoms in college campus cohorts
Bueno de Mesquita, Paul Jacob
Milton, Donald K
JournalInfluenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEvaluation of population-based COVID-19 control measures informs strategies to quell the current pandemic and reduce the impact of those yet to come. Effective COVID-19 control measures may simultaneously reduce the incidence of other acute respiratory infections (ARIs) due to shared transmission modalities. To assess the impact of stay-at-home orders and other physical distancing measures on the prevalence of ARI-related symptoms, we compared symptoms reported by prospective college cohorts enrolled during two consecutive academic years. ARI-related symptoms declined following campus closure and implementation of stay-at-home orders, demonstrating the impact of population-based physical distancing measures on control of a broad range of respiratory infections. © 2021 The Authors.
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14964
- Early trends for SARS-CoV-2 infection in central and north Texas and impact on other circulating respiratory viruses.
- Authors: Mutnal MB, Arroliga AC, Walker K, Mohammad A, Brigmon MM, Beaver RM, Midturi JK, Rao A
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Absence of detection of RSV and influenza during the COVID-19 pandemic in a Brazilian cohort: Likely role of lower transmission in the community.
- Authors: Varela FH, Scotta MC, Polese-Bonatto M, Sartor ITS, Ferreira CF, Fernandes IR, Zavaglia GO, de Almeida WAF, Arakaki-Sanchez D, Pinto LA, Nader Bastos GA, Nasi LA, Falavigna M, Pitrez PM, Stein RT, COVIDa study group.
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 1
- Differential impact of mitigation policies and socioeconomic status on COVID-19 prevalence and social distancing in the United States.
- Authors: Chang HY, Tang W, Hatef E, Kitchen C, Weiner JP, Kharrazi H
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 14
- [Impact of hygienic and social distancing measures against SARS-CoV-2 on respiratory infections caused by other viruses].
- Authors: Reina J, Arcay RM, Busquets M, Machado H
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- Containment of COVID-19 and reduction in healthcare-associated respiratory viral infections through a multi-tiered infection control strategy.
- Authors: Wee LE, Venkatachalam I, Sim XYJ, Tan KB, Wen R, Tham CK, Gan WH, Ko KKK, Ho WQ, Kwek GTC, Conceicao EP, Sng CYE, Ng XHJ, Ong JY, Chiang JL, Chua YY, Ling ML, Tan TT, Wijaya L
- Issue date: 2021 May