Three Dimensional mapping of the root apex: distances between apexes and anatomical structures and external cortical plates
JournalBrazilian Oral Research
PublisherUniversidade de Sao Paulo
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study aimed to determine the mean distances between apexes of the maxillary posterior teeth and the maxillary sinus, between apexes of the mandibular posterior teeth and the mandibular canal, and between the root apexes of all teeth and the adjacent cortical plates. A total of 800 cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) scans (400 maxillary and 400 mandibular) were obtained from patients indicated for several treatments. The proximity between apexes and anatomical structures, and the relationship between apexes and adjacent cortical plates were assessed together with the risk of over-instrumentation. Paired-sample comparisons were performed by using the paired t-test. The means were compared by ANOVA, Kruskal-Wallis and Dwass-Steel-Critchlow-Fligner tests. a) Most of the apexes classified as A (high-risk proximity) were observed in maxillary first and second molars, in mandibular first and second molars, and in second premolars in relation to near anatomical structures. b) A predominance of class A (86.42%) was noticed in the first premolars, between apexes of maxillary teeth and adjacent cortical plates. c) The distance between apexes of mandibular teeth and buccal cortical plates showed a predominance of medium-risk proximity (B) in all the groups, except the first premolars, with the highest risk (82.22%), and the second molars, with low-risk proximity (C) to distal and mesiobuccal apexes (91.77% and 89.62%). CBCT images are important for endodontic diagnosis and treatment, since many teeth have high risk proximity to near anatomical structures and adjacent cortical plates.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14963
- Proximity of Posterior Teeth to the Maxillary Sinus and Buccal Bone Thickness: A Biometric Assessment Using Cone-beam Computed Tomography.
- Authors: Kang SH, Kim BS, Kim Y
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- An Analysis of the Proximity of Maxillary Posterior Teeth to the Maxillary Sinus Using Cone-beam Computed Tomography.
- Authors: Tian XM, Qian L, Xin XZ, Wei B, Gong Y
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Proximity of the roots of maxillary posterior teeth to the floor of maxillary sinus and cortical plate: A cone-beam computed tomography assessment.
- Authors: Goyal SN, Karjodkar FR, Sansare K, Saalim M, Sharma S
- Issue date: 2020 Nov-Dec
- Evaluation of the relationship between maxillary posterior teeth and the maxillary sinus floor using cone-beam computed tomography.
- Authors: Gu Y, Sun C, Wu D, Zhu Q, Leng D, Zhou Y
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 3
- Anatomical evaluation of the relationship between the maxillary posterior teeth and maxillary sinus.
- Authors: Junqueira RB, Souza-Nunes LA, Scalioni FAR, Damasceno NNL, Verner FS, Carvalho ACP, Paula MVQ, Devito KL
- Issue date: 2020 Jan-Feb