Critical appraisal of the 2020 ESC guideline recommendations on diagnosis and risk assessment in patients with suspected non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome
Christenson, Robert H
von Haehling, Stephan
Hamm, Christian W
Katus, Hugo A
Chieh, Jack Tan Wei
Wollert, Kai C
JournalClinical Research in Cardiology : official Journal of the German Cardiac Society
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media Deutschland GmbH
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMultiple new recommendations have been introduced in the 2020 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes with a focus on diagnosis, prognosis, and management of patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation. Most recommendations are supported by high-quality scientific evidence. The guidelines provide solutions to overcome obstacles presumed to complicate a convenient interpretation of troponin results such as age-, or sex-specific cutoffs, and to give practical advice to overcome delays of laboratory reporting. However, in some areas, scientific support is less well documented or even missing, and other areas are covered rather by expert opinion or subjective recommendations. We aim to provide a critical appraisal on several recommendations, mainly related to the diagnostic and prognostic assessment, highlighting the discrepancies between Guideline recommendations and the existing scientific evidence. © 2021, The Author(s).
KeywordAcute coronary syndromes
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14959
- Guidelines in review: Comparison of the 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes and the 2015 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation.
- Authors: Prejean SP, Din M, Reyes E, Hage FG
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- New ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation.
- Authors: Müller C
- Issue date: 2012
- 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation: Task Force for the Management of Acute Coronary Syndromes in Patients Presenting without Persistent ST-Segment Elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).
- Authors: Roffi M, Patrono C, Collet JP, Mueller C, Valgimigli M, Andreotti F, Bax JJ, Borger MA, Brotons C, Chew DP, Gencer B, Hasenfuss G, Kjeldsen K, Lancellotti P, Landmesser U, Mehilli J, Mukherjee D, Storey RF, Windecker S, ESC Scientific Document Group .
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 14
- [The new 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation].
- Authors: Hochholzer W, Neumann FJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun