Development and deployment of COVID-19 vaccines for those most vulnerable
AuthorKoff, Wayne C
Baric, Ralph S
Cameron, Cheryl M
Cameron, Mark J
Friemann, Matthew B
Kelvin, Alyson A
Ross, Ted M
Mastro, Timothy D
Priddy, Frances H
Moore, Kristine A
Ostrowsky, Julia T
Osterholm, Michael T
JournalScience Translational Medicine
PublisherAmerican Association for the Advancement of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDevelopment of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines is a global priority and the best hope for ending the COVID-19 pandemic. Remarkably, in less than 1 year, vaccines have been developed and shown to be efficacious and are already being deployed worldwide. Yet, many challenges remain. Immune senescence and comorbidities in aging populations and immune dysregulation in populations living in low-resource settings may impede vaccine effectiveness. Distribution of vaccines among these populations where vaccine access is historically low remains challenging. In this Review, we address these challenges and provide strategies for ensuring that vaccines are developed and deployed for those most vulnerable. Copyright © 2021 The Authors.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Authors, some rights reserved; exclusive licensee American Association for the Advancement of Science. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14848
- Escape from neutralizing antibodies by SARS-CoV-2 spike protein variants.
- Authors: Weisblum Y, Schmidt F, Zhang F, DaSilva J, Poston D, Lorenzi JC, Muecksch F, Rutkowska M, Hoffmann HH, Michailidis E, Gaebler C, Agudelo M, Cho A, Wang Z, Gazumyan A, Cipolla M, Luchsinger L, Hillyer CD, Caskey M, Robbiani DF, Rice CM, Nussenzweig MC, Hatziioannou T, Bieniasz PD
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 28
- A Review of the Progress and Challenges of Developing a Vaccine for COVID-19.
- Authors: Sharma O, Sultan AA, Ding H, Triggle CR
- Issue date: 2020
- COVID-19 vaccines: acting on the evidence.
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- COVID-19 mRNA vaccines.
- Authors: Huang Q, Zeng J, Yan J
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 20
- COVID-19 vaccines: ethical framework concerning human challenge studies.
- Authors: Calina D, Hartung T, Docea AO, Spandidos DA, Egorov AM, Shtilman MI, Carvalho F, Tsatsakis A
- Issue date: 2020 Dec