Discovery of New Catalytic Topoisomerase II Inhibitors for Anticancer Therapeutics
AuthorMatias-Barrios, Victor M
Lee, Ahn R
Gleave, Martin E
JournalFrontiers in Oncology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
SponsorsPoison inhibitors of DNA topoisomerase II (TOP2) are clinically used drugs that cause cancer cell death by inducing DNA damage, which mechanism of action is also associated with serious side effects such as secondary malignancy and cardiotoxicity. In contrast, TOP2 catalytic inhibitors induce limited DNA damage, have low cytotoxicity, and are effective in suppressing cancer cell proliferation. They have been sought after to be prospective anticancer therapies. Herein the discovery of new TOP2 catalytic inhibitors is described. A new druggable pocket of TOP2 protein at its DNA binding domain was used as a docking site to virtually screen ~6 million molecules from the ZINC15 library. The lead compound, T60, was characterized to be a catalytic TOP2 inhibitor that binds TOP2 protein and disrupts TOP2 from interacting with DNA, resulting in no DNA cleavage. It has low cytotoxicity, but strongly inhibits cancer cell proliferation and xenograft growth. T60 also inhibits androgen receptor activity and prostate cancer cell growth. These results indicate that T60 is a promising candidate compound that can be further developed into new anticancer drugs. © Copyright © 2021 Matias-Barrios, Radaeva, Song, Alperstein, Lee, Schmitt, Lee, Ban, Xie, Qi, Lallous, Gleave, Cherkasov and Dong.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Matias-Barrios, Radaeva, Song, Alperstein, Lee, Schmitt, Lee, Ban, Xie, Qi, Lallous, Gleave, Cherkasov and Dong.
computer aided drug design
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14800
- Optimization of New Catalytic Topoisomerase II Inhibitors as an Anti-Cancer Therapy.
- Authors: Matias-Barrios VM, Radaeva M, Ho CH, Lee J, Adomat H, Lallous N, Cherkasov A, Dong X
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 22
- Intercalating TOP2 Poisons Attenuate Topoisomerase Action at Higher Concentrations.
- Authors: Atwal M, Swan RL, Rowe C, Lee KC, Lee DC, Armstrong L, Cowell IG, Austin CA
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Identification of potent catalytic inhibitors of human DNA topoisomerase II by structure-based virtual screening.
- Authors: Dong G, Wu Y, Sun Y, Liu N, Wu S, Zhang W, Sheng C
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- Eukaryotic DNA topoisomerases mediated DNA cleavage induced by a new inhibitor: NSC 665517.
- Authors: Gupta M, Abdel-Megeed M, Hoki Y, Kohlhagen G, Paull K, Pommier Y
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- [Molecular determinants of response to topoisomerase II inhibitors].
- Authors: Lansiaux A, Pourquier P
- Issue date: 2011 Nov