Providing Ancillary Care in Clinical Research: A Case of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma during a Malaria Vaccine Trial in Equatorial Guinea
AuthorManock, Stephen R
Urbano Nsue Ndong, Vicente
Sama Roca, Antonio E
García, Guillermo A
Cortes Falla, Carlos
Niemczura de Carvalho, Julie
Riocalo, Juan de Dios
Nze Mba, José Luis
Lee, Seung Tae
Church, L W Preston
Ayekaba, Mitoha Ondo'o
Billingsley, Peter F
Richie, Thomas L
Hoffman, Stephen L
JournalThe American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
PublisherAmerican Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProviding medical care for participants in clinical trials in resource-limited settings can be challenging and costly. Evaluation and treatment of a young man who developed cervical lymphadenopathy during a malaria vaccine trial in Equatorial Guinea required concerted efforts of a multinational, multidisciplinary team. Once a diagnosis of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma was made, the patient was taken to India to receive immunochemotherapy. This case demonstrates how high-quality medical care was provided for a serious illness that occurred during a trial that was conducted in a setting in which positron emission tomography for diagnostic staging, an oncologist for supervision of treatment, and an optimal therapeutic intervention were not available. Clinical researchers should anticipate the occurrence of medical conditions among study subjects, clearly delineate the extent to which health care will be provided, and set aside funds commensurate with those commitments.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14794
- The future of Cochrane Neonatal.
- Authors: Soll RF, Ovelman C, McGuire W
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Evidence Brief: The Quality of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses
- Authors: McCleery E, Christensen V, Peterson K, Humphrey L, Helfand M
- Issue date: 2011
- Marginal zone lymphoma-derived interfollicular diffuse large B-cell lymphoma harboring 20q12 chromosomal deletion and missense mutation of BIRC3 gene: a case report.
- Authors: Hatem J, Schrank-Hacker AM, Watt CD, Morrissette JJ, Rubin AI, Kim EJ, Nasta SD, Wasik MA, Bogusz AM
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 19
- Determinants of delay in malaria care-seeking behaviour for children 15 years and under in Bata district, Equatorial Guinea.
- Authors: Romay-Barja M, Cano J, Ncogo P, Nseng G, Santana-Morales MA, Valladares B, Riloha M, Benito A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 31
- Rituximab: a review of its use in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Plosker GL, Figgitt DP
- Issue date: 2003