Prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of anogenital Human Papillomavirus (HPV) carriage in a cross-sectional, multi-ethnic, community-based Asian male population.
AuthorKhoo, Su Pei
Shafii, Mohd Khairul Anwar
Yap, Siew Hwei
Nasir, Nazrila Hairizan
Goh, Pik Pin
Woo, Yin Ling
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground Addressing the burden of HPV-associated diseases among men is increasingly becoming a public health issue. The main objective of this study was to determine HPV prevalence among a healthy community-based Malaysian men. Method This was a cross-sectional study that recruited 503 healthy males from 3 community-based clinics in Selangor, Malaysia. Genital and anal samples were collected from each participant for 14 high risk and 2 low risk HPV DNA detection and genotyping. All participants responded to a set of detailed sociodemographic and sexual behaviour questionnaire. Results The median age at enrolment was 40 years old (IQR: 31–50). The anogenital HPV6/11 prevalence was 3.2% whereas high risk HPV prevalence was 27.1%. The genital HPV prevalence for HPV6/11 was 2.9% while high risk HPV was 18.8%. HPV6/11 prevalence in the anal canal was 1.6% and high risk HPV was 12.7%. HPV 18 was the most prevalent genotype detected in the anogenital area. There was a significant independent association between genital and anal HPV infections. Conclusion Anogenital HPV infection is common among Malaysian men. These findings emphasize the ubiquity of HPV infection and thus the value of population-wide access to HPV prevention.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14771
- Prevalence and sociodemographic correlates of cervicovaginal human papillomavirus (HPV) carriage in a cross-sectional, multiethnic, community-based female Asian population.
- Authors: Khoo SP, Bhoo-Pathy N, Yap SH, Anwar Shafii MK, Hairizan Nasir N, Belinson J, Subramaniam S, Goh PP, Zeng M, Tan HD, Gravitt P, Woo YL
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Oral human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in men who have sex with men: prevalence and lack of anogenital concordance.
- Authors: King EM, Gilson R, Beddows S, Soldan K, Panwar K, Young C, Jit M, Edmunds WJ, Sonnenberg P
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Prevalence of anogenital HPV infection, related disease and risk factors among HIV-infected men in inner-city Johannesburg, South Africa: baseline findings from a cohort study.
- Authors: Chikandiwa A, Chimoyi L, Pisa PT, Chersich MF, Muller EE, Michelow P, Mayaud P, Delany-Moretlwe S
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 4
- The prevalence of human papillomavirus infections and associated risk factors in men-who-have-sex-with-men in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Authors: Müller EE, Rebe K, Chirwa TF, Struthers H, McIntyre J, Lewis DA
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 22
- Prevalence of and risk factors for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection among HIV-seronegative men who have sex with men.
- Authors: Goldstone S, Palefsky JM, Giuliano AR, Moreira ED Jr, Aranda C, Jessen H, Hillman RJ, Ferris DG, Coutlee F, Liaw KL, Marshall JB, Zhang X, Vuocolo S, Barr E, Haupt RM, Guris D, Garner EI
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 1