Why Temperature Screening for Coronavirus Disease 2019 With Noncontact Infrared Thermometers Does Not Work
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCoronavirus disease 2019 screening can evaluate large numbers of patients while reducing healthcare exposures and limiting further spread of the virus. Temperature screening has been a focal point of case detection during the pandemic because it is one of the earliest and most frequently reported manifestations of the illness. We describe important factors to consider of screened individuals as well as the measurement process and current outcomes. Optimal temperature-based screening involves both individual and environmental factors as well as reconsideration of the current fever threshold. © 2020 The Author(s) 2020. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2020. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14758
- Considerations and a call to action for the use of noncontact forehead infrared handheld thermometers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Chan WP, Kosik RO, Wang CJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 30
- Universal screening for SARS-CoV-2 infection: a rapid review.
- Authors: Viswanathan M, Kahwati L, Jahn B, Giger K, Dobrescu AI, Hill C, Klerings I, Meixner J, Persad E, Teufer B, Gartlehner G
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 15
- Infrared Skin Thermometry: Validating and Comparing Techniques to Detect Periwound Skin Infection.
- Authors: Mufti A, Somayaji R, Coutts P, Sibbald RG
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Investigation of the Impact of Infrared Sensors on Core Body Temperature Monitoring by Comparing Measurement Sites.
- Authors: Chen HY, Chen A, Chen C
- Issue date: 2020 May 19
- Noncontact Body Temperature Measurement: Uncertainty Evaluation and Screening Decision Rule to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19.
- Authors: Dell'Isola GB, Cosentini E, Canale L, Ficco G, Dell'Isola M
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 6