Deficiency of Rbpj Leads to Defective Stress-Induced Hematopoietic Stem Cell Functions and Hif Mediated Activation of Non-canonical Notch Signaling Pathways.
JournalFrontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDeregulated notch signaling has been associated with human pathobiology. However, functions of notch pathways in hematopoiesis remain incompletely understood. Here, we ablated canonical notch pathways, through genetic deletion of Rbpj, in hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs). Our data identified that loss of canonical notch results in normal adult HSC pool, at steady state conditions. However, HSC maintenance and functions in response to radiation-, chemotherapy-, and cytokine- induced stress were compromised in the absence of canonical notch. Rbpj deficient HSCs exhibit decreased proliferation rates and elevated expression of p57Kip2. Surprisingly, loss of Rbpj resulted in upregulation of key notch target genes and augmented binding of Hes1 to p57 and Gata2 promoters. Further molecular analyses identified an increase in notch activity, elevated expression and nuclear translocation of Hif proteins, and augmented binding of Hif1α to Hes1 promoter in the absence of Rbpj. These studies, for the first time, identify a previously unknown role for non-canonical notch signaling and establish a functional link between Hif and Notch pathways in hematopoiesis.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Lakhan and Rathinam.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14751
- Canonical Notch signaling is dispensable for adult steady-state and stress myelo-erythropoiesis.
- Authors: Duarte S, Woll PS, Buza-Vidas N, Chin DWL, Boukarabila H, Luís TC, Stenson L, Bouriez-Jones T, Ferry H, Mead AJ, Atkinson D, Jin S, Clark SA, Wu B, Repapi E, Gray N, Taylor S, Mutvei AP, Tsoi YL, Nerlov C, Lendahl U, Jacobsen SEW
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 12
- Indispensable role of Notch ligand-dependent signaling in the proliferation and stem cell niche maintenance of APC-deficient intestinal tumors.
- Authors: Nakata T, Shimizu H, Nagata S, Ito G, Fujii S, Suzuki K, Kawamoto A, Ishibashi F, Kuno R, Anzai S, Murano T, Mizutani T, Oshima S, Tsuchiya K, Nakamura T, Hozumi K, Watanabe M, Okamoto R
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 22
- Notch-Rbpj signaling is required for the development of noradrenergic neurons in the mouse locus coeruleus.
- Authors: Shi M, Hu ZL, Zheng MH, Song NN, Huang Y, Zhao G, Han H, Ding YQ
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 15
- Hes1 deficiency causes hematopoietic stem cell exhaustion.
- Authors: Ma Z, Xu J, Wu L, Wang J, Lin Q, Chowdhury FA, Mazumder MHH, Hu G, Li X, Du W
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- RBPJ maintains brain tumor-initiating cells through CDK9-mediated transcriptional elongation.
- Authors: Xie Q, Wu Q, Kim L, Miller TE, Liau BB, Mack SC, Yang K, Factor DC, Fang X, Huang Z, Zhou W, Alazem K, Wang X, Bernstein BE, Bao S, Rich JN
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 1