Primaquine for Plasmodium vivax radical cure: What we do not know and why it matters.
JournalInternational Journal for Parasitology. Drugs and Drug Resistance
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlasmodium vivax radical cure requires the administration of a blood schizonticide for killing blood-stage parasites and the addition of a drug able to kill hypnozoites, the dormant parasite stages residing in the liver of infected patients. All drugs used clinically for killing hypnozoites are 8-aminoquinolines and among them, primaquine has been at the forefront of P. vivax case management for decades. We discuss here the possible factors that could lead to the emergence and selection of P. vivax primaquine resistant parasites and emphasize on how a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying primaquine treatment and hypnozoite biology is needed to prevent this catastrophic scenario from happening. © 2021 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14730
- Killing of Plasmodium vivax by Primaquine and Tafenoquine.
- Authors: Markus MB
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Primaquine treatment for Plasmodium vivax--an essential tool for malaria control and elimination in Papua New Guinea.
- Authors: Betuela I, Robinson LJ, Hetzel MW, Laman M, Siba PM, Bassat Q, Mueller I
- Issue date: 2014 Mar-Dec
- KAI407, a potent non-8-aminoquinoline compound that kills Plasmodium cynomolgi early dormant liver stage parasites in vitro.
- Authors: Zeeman AM, van Amsterdam SM, McNamara CW, Voorberg-van der Wel A, Klooster EJ, van den Berg A, Remarque EJ, Plouffe DM, van Gemert GJ, Luty A, Sauerwein R, Gagaring K, Borboa R, Chen Z, Kuhen K, Glynne RJ, Chatterjee AK, Nagle A, Roland J, Winzeler EA, Leroy D, Campo B, Diagana TT, Yeung BK, Thomas AW, Kocken CH
- Issue date: 2014
- Tafenoquine Therapy and <i>G6PD</i> Genotype
- Authors: Dean L, Kane M, Pratt VM, Scott SA, Pirmohamed M, Esquivel B, Kane MS, Kattman BL, Malheiro AJ
- Issue date: 2012
- Modelling the contribution of the hypnozoite reservoir to Plasmodium vivax transmission.
- Authors: White MT, Karl S, Battle KE, Hay SI, Mueller I, Ghani AC
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 18