Primaquine for Plasmodium vivax radical cure: What we do not know and why it matters.
JournalInternational Journal for Parasitology. Drugs and Drug Resistance
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlasmodium vivax radical cure requires the administration of a blood schizonticide for killing blood-stage parasites and the addition of a drug able to kill hypnozoites, the dormant parasite stages residing in the liver of infected patients. All drugs used clinically for killing hypnozoites are 8-aminoquinolines and among them, primaquine has been at the forefront of P. vivax case management for decades. We discuss here the possible factors that could lead to the emergence and selection of P. vivax primaquine resistant parasites and emphasize on how a better understanding of the mechanisms underlying primaquine treatment and hypnozoite biology is needed to prevent this catastrophic scenario from happening. © 2021 The Authors
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 The Authors. Published by Elsevier Ltd.. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14730
- Probing the distinct chemosensitivity of Plasmodium vivax liver stage parasites and demonstration of 8-aminoquinoline radical cure activity in vitro.
- Authors: Maher SP, Vantaux A, Chaumeau V, Chua ACY, Cooper CA, Andolina C, Péneau J, Rouillier M, Rizopoulos Z, Phal S, Piv E, Vong C, Phen S, Chhin C, Tat B, Ouk S, Doeurk B, Kim S, Suriyakan S, Kittiphanakun P, Awuku NA, Conway AJ, Jiang RHY, Russell B, Bifani P, Campo B, Nosten F, Witkowski B, Kyle DE
- Issue date: 2021 Oct 7
- Primaquine treatment for Plasmodium vivax--an essential tool for malaria control and elimination in Papua New Guinea.
- Authors: Betuela I, Robinson LJ, Hetzel MW, Laman M, Siba PM, Bassat Q, Mueller I
- Issue date: 2014 Mar-Dec
- UK malaria treatment guidelines 2016.
- Authors: Lalloo DG, Shingadia D, Bell DJ, Beeching NJ, Whitty CJM, Chiodini PL, PHE Advisory Committee on Malaria Prevention in UK Travellers.
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Imported tertian malaria resistant to primaquine.
- Authors: Na DJ, Han JD, Cha DY, Song IK, Choi HW, Chung EA, Park CW, Choi JS
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Global economic costs due to vivax malaria and the potential impact of its radical cure: A modelling study.
- Authors: Devine A, Battle KE, Meagher N, Howes RE, Dini S, Gething PW, Simpson JA, Price RN, Lubell Y
- Issue date: 2021 Jun