Genomic Epidemiology of Antimalarial Drug Resistance in in Southern China.
Jacob, Christopher G
Plowe, Christopher V
JournalFrontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology
PublisherFrontiers Media S.A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEmerging artemisinin resistance in Southeast Asia poses a significant risk to malaria control and eradication goals, including China's plan to eliminate malaria nationwide by 2020. Plasmodium falciparum was endemic in China, especially in Southern China. Parasites from this region have shown decreased susceptibility to artemisinin and delayed parasite clearance after artemisinin treatment. Understanding the genetic basis of artemisinin resistance and identifying specific genetic loci associated with this phenotype is crucial for surveillance and containment of resistance. In this study, parasites were collected from clinical patients from Yunnan province and Hainan island. The parasites were genotyped using a P. falciparum-specific single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) microarray. The SNP profiles examined included a total of 27 validated and candidate molecular markers of drug resistance. The structure of the parasite population was evaluated by principal component analysis by using the EIGENSOFT program, and ADMIXTURE was used to calculate maximum likelihood estimates for the substructure analysis. Parasites showed a high prevalence of resistance haplotypes of pfdhfr and pfdhps and moderate prevalence of pfcrt. There was no mutation identified on pfmdr1. Candidate SNPs on chromosomes 10, 13, and 14 that were associated with delayed parasite clearance showed a low prevalence of mutants. Parasites from Southern China were clustered and separated from those from Southeast Asia. Parasites from Yunnan province were substructured from parasites from Hainan island. This study provides evidence for a genomic population with drug resistance in Southern China and also illustrates the utility of SNP microarrays for large-scale parasite molecular epidemiology.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Huang, Jacob, Takala-Harrison, Adams, Yang, Liu, Xia, Zhou, Tang and Plowe.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14704
- Molecular epidemiology of drug resistance markers of Plasmodium falciparum in Yunnan Province, China.
- Authors: Huang F, Tang L, Yang H, Zhou S, Liu H, Li J, Guo S
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 28
- Efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine for treating uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum cases and molecular surveillance of drug resistance genes in Western Myanmar.
- Authors: Wu Y, Soe MT, Aung PL, Zhao L, Zeng W, Menezes L, Yang Z, Kyaw MP, Cui L
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 27
- Molecular Surveillance of Drug Resistance of Plasmodium falciparum Isolates Imported from Angola in Henan Province, China.
- Authors: Zhou R, Yang C, Li S, Zhao Y, Liu Y, Qian D, Wang H, Lu D, Zhang H, Huang F
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Artemisinin resistance-associated markers in Plasmodium falciparum parasites from the China-Myanmar border: predicted structural stability of K13 propeller variants detected in a low-prevalence area.
- Authors: He Y, Campino S, Diez Benavente E, Warhurst DC, Beshir KB, Lubis I, Gomes AR, Feng J, Jiazhi W, Sun X, Huang F, Tang LH, Sutherland CJ, Clark TG
- Issue date: 2019
- Molecular surveillance of Plasmodium falciparum drug resistance markers reveals partial recovery of chloroquine susceptibility but sustained sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance at two sites of different malaria transmission intensities in Rwanda.
- Authors: Kateera F, Nsobya SL, Tukwasibwe S, Hakizimana E, Mutesa L, Mens PF, Grobusch MP, van Vugt M, Kumar N
- Issue date: 2016 Dec