Evaluation of Molecular Serotyping Assays for Shigella flexneri Directly on Stool Samples.
Ochieng, John Benjamin
Jones, Jennifer A
Platts-Mills, James A
Tennant, Sharon M
JournalJournal of Clinical Microbiology
PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractShigella flexneri is prevalent worldwide and is the most common Shigella species in many countries. At least 19 S. flexneri serotypes exist, and serotype information is important for epidemiologic and vaccine development purposes. We evaluated the performance of real-time PCR assays for O-antigen modification genes to identify the major serotypes on isolates and direct stool samples. The assays were formulated into two multiplex panels: one panel included gtrII, gtrV, gtrX, oac, and wzx6 to identify S. flexneri serotypes 2a, 2b, 3a, 5a, 5b, 6, and X, and the other panel included ipaH, gtrI, gtrIc, and gtrIV to confirm Shigella detection and further identify S. flexneri serotypes 1a, 1b, 1d, 3b, 4a, 4b, 7a, and 7b. We first evaluated 283 Shigella isolates, and PCR serotyping demonstrated 97.0% (95% confidence interval, 93.0% to 99.0%) sensitivity and 99.9% (99.9% to 100%) specificity compared to conventional serotyping. The assays then were utilized on direct stool specimens. A quantitative detection algorithm was developed with a validation set of 174 Shigella culture-positive stool samples and further tested with a derivation set of 164 samples. The PCR serotyping on stool achieved 93% (89% to 96%) sensitivity and 99% (99% to 100%) specificity compared to serotyping. Most discrepancies were genotypic-phenotypic discordance, not genotypic failure. These real-time PCR assays provide an efficient and novel tool for S. flexneri serotype identification.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 Liu et al.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14686
- Development of a multiplex PCR assay targeting O-antigen modification genes for molecular serotyping of Shigella flexneri.
- Authors: Sun Q, Lan R, Wang Y, Zhao A, Zhang S, Wang J, Wang Y, Xia S, Jin D, Cui Z, Zhao H, Li Z, Ye C, Zhang S, Jing H, Xu J
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Design of Two Multiplex PCR Assays for Serotyping Shigella flexneri.
- Authors: van der Ploeg CA, Rogé AD, Bordagorría XL, de Urquiza MT, Castillo ABC, Bruno SB
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- [Development of a singleplex PCR assay targeting O-antigen modification genes for molecular serotyping of Shigella flexneri].
- Authors: Zhang SX, Wang JP, Jin D, Chen DL, Liu K, Wang YT, Li ZJ, Xu JG, Sun QZ
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Expression of Shigella dysenteriae serotype 1 O-antigenic polysaccharide by Shigella flexneri aroD vaccine candidates and different S. flexneri serotypes.
- Authors: Fält IC, Schweda EK, Klee S, Singh M, Floderus E, Timmis KN, Lindberg AA
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Shigella flexneri serotype 1c derived from serotype 1a by acquisition of gtrIC gene cluster via a bacteriophage.
- Authors: Tang SS, Carlin NI, Talukder KA, Cam PD, Verma NK
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 27