Review on Development and Dental Applications of Polyetheretherketone-Based Biomaterials and Restorations
Oates, Thomas W
Weir, Michael D
Xu, Hockin H K
JournalMaterials (Basel, Switzerland)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPolyetheretherketone (PEEK) is an important high-performance thermoplastic. Its excellent strength, stiffness, toughness, fatigue resistance, biocompatibility, chemical stability and radiolucency have made PEEK attractive in dental and orthopedic applications. However, PEEK has an inherently hydrophobic and chemically inert surface, which has restricted its widespread use in clinical applications, especially in bonding with dental resin composites. Cutting edge research on novel methods to improve PEEK applications in dentistry, including oral implant, prosthodontics and orthodontics, is reviewed in this article. In addition, this article also discusses innovative surface modifications of PEEK, which are a focus area of active investigations. Furthermore, this article also discusses the necessary future studies and clinical trials for the use of PEEK in the human oral environment to investigate its feasibility and long-term performance. © 2021 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14681
- PEEK with Reinforced Materials and Modifications for Dental Implant Applications.
- Authors: Rahmitasari F, Ishida Y, Kurahashi K, Matsuda T, Watanabe M, Ichikawa T
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 15
- Applications of polyetheretherketone (PEEK) in oral implantology and prosthodontics.
- Authors: Najeeb S, Zafar MS, Khurshid Z, Siddiqui F
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Polyetheretherketone and Its Composites for Bone Replacement and Regeneration.
- Authors: Liao C, Li Y, Tjong SC
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 29
- PEEK High Performance Polymers: A Review of Properties and Clinical Applications in Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry.
- Authors: Alexakou E, Damanaki M, Zoidis P, Bakiri E, Mouzis N, Smidt G, Kourtis S
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 29
- Behavior of polyether-ether-ketone (PEEK) in prostheses on dental implants. A review.
- Authors: Blanch-Martínez N, Arias-Herrera S, Martínez-González A
- Issue date: 2021 May