Pathological Evidence for SARS-CoV-2 as a Cause of Myocarditis: JACC Review Topic of the Week
Finn, Aloke V
JournalJournal of the American College of Cardiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo investigate whether severe acute respiratory syndrome-coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2)–induced myocarditis constitutes an important mechanism of cardiac injury, a review was conducted of the published data and the authors’ experience was added from autopsy examination of 16 patients dying of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Myocarditis is an uncommon pathologic diagnosis occurring in 4.5% of highly selected cases undergoing autopsy or endomyocardial biopsy. Although polymerase chain reaction–detectable virus could be found in the lungs of most coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19)–infected subjects in our own autopsy registry, in only 2 cases was the virus detected in the heart. It should be appreciated that myocardial inflammation alone by macrophages and T cells can be seen in noninfectious deaths and COVID-19 cases, but the extent of each is different, and in neither case do such findings represent clinically relevant myocarditis. Given its extremely low frequency and unclear therapeutic implications, the authors do not advocate use of endomyocardial biopsy to diagnose myocarditis in the setting of COVID-19.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2021 American College of Cardiology Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14671
- Factors associated with myocardial SARS-CoV-2 infection, myocarditis, and cardiac inflammation in patients with COVID-19.
- Authors: Bearse M, Hung YP, Krauson AJ, Bonanno L, Boyraz B, Harris CK, Helland TL, Hilburn CF, Hutchison B, Jobbagy S, Marshall MS, Shepherd DJ, Villalba JA, Delfino I, Mendez-Pena J, Chebib I, Newton-Cheh C, Stone JR
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- SARS-Cov-2 fulminant myocarditis: an autopsy and histopathological case study.
- Authors: Gauchotte G, Venard V, Segondy M, Cadoz C, Esposito-Fava A, Barraud D, Louis G
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Myocardial Inflammation and Dysfunction in COVID-19-Associated Myocardial Injury.
- Authors: Weckbach LT, Curta A, Bieber S, Kraechan A, Brado J, Hellmuth JC, Muenchhoff M, Scherer C, Schroeder I, Irlbeck M, Maurus S, Ricke J, Klingel K, Kääb S, Orban M, Massberg S, Hausleiter J, Grabmaier U
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Clinically Suspected Myocarditis in the Course of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Novel Coronavirus-2 Infection: Fact or Fiction?
- Authors: Ozieranski K, Tyminska A, Jonik S, Marcolongo R, Baritussio A, Grabowski M, Filipiak KJ, Opolski G, Caforio ALP
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Pathological features of COVID-19-associated myocardial injury: a multicentre cardiovascular pathology study.
- Authors: Basso C, Leone O, Rizzo S, De Gaspari M, van der Wal AC, Aubry MC, Bois MC, Lin PT, Maleszewski JJ, Stone JR
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 14