COVID-19 Outbreaks in US Immigrant Detention Centers: The Urgent Need to Adopt CDC Guidelines for Prevention and Evaluation.
JournalClinical Infectious Diseases : an Official Publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere have been several significant outbreaks of COVID-19 in federal immigrant detention centers, which lack clear and consistent guidelines across Department of Homeland Security (DHS) agencies to limit the spread of COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued detailed guidelines for the control, prevention, and evaluation of COVID-19 in detention facilities. Although the DHS's Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency has stated that it complies with CDC recommendations, its policies significantly differ from these CDC guidelines, placing detainees at risk for contracting COVID-19. This submission urges the adoption of CDC guidelines across DHS-associated facilities. Such a policy change has the potential to protect and save the lives of the most vulnerable populations under the auspices of the federal government.
Rights/Terms© The Author(s) 2020. Published by Oxford University Press for the Infectious Diseases Society of America. All rights reserved. For permissions, e-mail: email@example.com.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14662
- Modeling COVID-19 and Its Impacts on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Detention Facilities, 2020.
- Authors: Irvine M, Coombs D, Skarha J, Del Pozo B, Rich J, Taxman F, Green TC
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in Immigration Detention Centers Requires the Release of Detainees.
- Authors: Lopez WD, Kline N, LeBrón AMW, Novak NL, De Trinidad Young ME, Gonsalves G, Mishori R, Safi BA, Kysel IM
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Risk Assessment and Management of COVID-19 Among Travelers Arriving at Designated U.S. Airports, January 17-September 13, 2020.
- Authors: Dollard P, Griffin I, Berro A, Cohen NJ, Singler K, Haber Y, de la Motte Hurst C, Stolp A, Atti S, Hausman L, Shockey CE, Roohi S, Brown CM, Rotz LD, Cetron MS, CDC COVID-19 Port of Entry Team., Alvarado-Ramy F
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 13
- Risk of Poor Outcomes with COVID-19 Among U.S. Detained Immigrants: A Cross-Sectional Study.
- Authors: Patler C, Saadi A
- Issue date: 2021 Aug
- US Policies Increase Vulnerability of Immigrant Communities to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Wilson FA, Stimpson JP
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 10