Maintaining consistent bladder filling during external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
JournalTechnical Innovations & Patient Support in Radiation Oncology
PublisherElsevier Ireland Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRadiation therapy for patients with prostate cancer is preferably provided with a full urinary bladder. Full bladder can potentially move the small intestine out of the radiation treatment regions, and results in decreased small bowel radiation dose and gastrointestinal toxicity. Maintaining consistent bladder filling during computerized tomography simulation scan used for treatment planning and at daily radiation treatments is challenging. Here we present an in-development urinary catheter with a floating balloon that drains the bladder only when urine reaches to a prespecified level, and review current methods used in clinic to ensure consistent bladder filling. These includes bladder filling protocols, ultrasound scanning and biofeedback techniques. © 2021 The Authors
Rights/Terms© 2021 The Authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14659
- The impact of daily bladder filling on small bowel dose for intensity modulated radiation therapy for cervical cancer.
- Authors: Chen VE, Gillespie EF, Manger RP, Skerritt LA, Tran JH, Proudfoot JA, Sherer MV, Einck JP, Mell LK, Moore KL, Yashar CM
- Issue date: 2019 Summer
- Use of a prospective cohort study in the development of a bladder scanning protocol to assist in bladder filling consistency for prostate cancer patients receiving radiation therapy.
- Authors: Cramp L, Connors V, Wood M, Westhuyzen J, McKay M, Greenham S
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- The implementation of an empty bladder filling protocol for localised prostate volumetric modulated arctherapy (VMAT): early results of a single institution service evaluation.
- Authors: Chetiyawardana G, Hoskin PJ, Tsang YM
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1
- Assessing the daily consistency of bladder filling using an ultrasonic Bladderscan device in men receiving radical conformal radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
- Authors: Hynds S, McGarry CK, Mitchell DM, Early S, Shum L, Stewart DP, Harney JA, Cardwell CR, O'Sullivan JM
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Effect of bladder filling on doses to prostate and organs at risk: a treatment planning study.
- Authors: Moiseenko V, Liu M, Kristensen S, Gelowitz G, Berthelet E
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 12