A proposed one-stop-shop approach for the delivery of integrated oral, mental, sexual and reproductive healthcare to adolescents in Nigeria
AuthorFolayan, Morenike Oluwatoyin
Sam-Agudu, Nadia Adjoa
Chukwumah, Nneka Maureen
JournalPan African Medical Journal
PublisherAfrican Field Epidemiology Network
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe interconnectedness of oral, mental, sexual, and reproductive health (OMSRH) in adolescents prompts exploration of novel approaches to facilitate comprehensive access of this population to the relevant health services. This paper proposes an integrated one-stop-shop approach to increasing adolescents' access to OMSRH care by leveraging on dental clinics as a template for integration, using a non-stigmatized platform to deliver stigmatized healthcare. Novel healthcare delivery models are needed to enhance adolescents' access to the comprehensive prevention and treatment services that they critically need. Effective, integrated health care for this population is lacking, especially across various health areas. This is a proposal for leveraging dental clinics for integrated OMSRH care, using facility-based services, to adolescents. Emphasis will be placed on reducing stigma as a barrier to service accessibility, acceptability, equitability and appropriateness. Empirical studies will be required to test the feasibility, validity and effectiveness of this proposed model. © Morenike Oluwatoyin Folayan et al.
Integrated health service delivery
Sexual and reproductive health
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14639
- Sexual and reproductive health services (SRHS) for adolescents in Enugu state, Nigeria: a mixed methods approach.
- Authors: Odo AN, Samuel ES, Nwagu EN, Nnamani PO, Atama CS
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 8
- The no-go zone: a qualitative study of access to sexual and reproductive health services for sexual and gender minority adolescents in Southern Africa.
- Authors: Müller A, Spencer S, Meer T, Daskilewicz K
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 25
- Development of integration indexes to determine the extent of family planning and child immunization services integration in health facilities in urban areas of Nigeria.
- Authors: Sheahan KL, Orgill-Meyer J, Speizer IS, Curtis S, Paul J, Weinberger M, Bennett AV
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 23
- Adolescents and access to health care.
- Authors: Klein JD, Slap GB, Elster AB, Cohn SE
- Issue date: 1993 Winter
- Key informant perspectives on policy- and service-level challenges and opportunities for delivering integrated sexual and reproductive health and HIV care in South Africa.
- Authors: Smit JA, Church K, Milford C, Harrison AD, Beksinska ME
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 27