Quantitative modeling predicts mechanistic links between pre-treatment microbiome composition and metronidazole efficacy in bacterial vaginosis
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBacterial vaginosis is a condition associated with adverse reproductive outcomes and characterized by a shift from a Lactobacillus-dominant vaginal microbiota to a polymicrobial microbiota, consistently colonized by strains of Gardnerella vaginalis. Metronidazole is the first-line treatment; however, treatment failure and recurrence rates remain high. To understand complex interactions between Gardnerella vaginalis and Lactobacillus involved in efficacy, here we develop an ordinary differential equation model that predicts bacterial growth as a function of metronidazole uptake, sensitivity, and metabolism. The model shows that a critical factor in efficacy is Lactobacillus sequestration of metronidazole, and efficacy decreases when the relative abundance of Lactobacillus is higher pre-treatment. We validate results in Gardnerella and Lactobacillus co-cultures, and in two clinical cohorts, finding women with recurrence have significantly higher pre-treatment levels of Lactobacillus relative to bacterial vaginosis-associated bacteria. Overall results provide mechanistic insight into how personalized differences in microbial communities influence vaginal antibiotic efficacy.
Vaginosis, Bacterial--drug therapy
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14570
- Treatment of biofilms in bacterial vaginosis by an amphoteric tenside pessary-clinical study and microbiota analysis.
- Authors: Gottschick C, Deng ZL, Vital M, Masur C, Abels C, Pieper DH, Rohde M, Mendling W, Wagner-Döbler I
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 13
- The urinary microbiota of men and women and its changes in women during bacterial vaginosis and antibiotic treatment.
- Authors: Gottschick C, Deng ZL, Vital M, Masur C, Abels C, Pieper DH, Wagner-Döbler I
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 14
- Metatranscriptome Analysis of the Vaginal Microbiota Reveals Potential Mechanisms for Protection against Metronidazole in Bacterial Vaginosis.
- Authors: Deng ZL, Gottschick C, Bhuju S, Masur C, Abels C, Wagner-Döbler I
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 27
- Effects of bacterial vaginosis-associated bacteria and sexual intercourse on vaginal colonization with the probiotic Lactobacillus crispatus CTV-05.
- Authors: Ngugi BM, Hemmerling A, Bukusi EA, Kikuvi G, Gikunju J, Shiboski S, Fredricks DN, Cohen CR
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- The restoration of the vaginal microbiota after treatment for bacterial vaginosis with metronidazole or probiotics.
- Authors: Ling Z, Liu X, Chen W, Luo Y, Yuan L, Xia Y, Nelson KE, Huang S, Zhang S, Wang Y, Yuan J, Li L, Xiang C
- Issue date: 2013 Apr