SIRT3, a metabolic target linked to ataxia-telangiectasia mutated (ATM) gene deficiency in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInactivation of Ataxia-telangiectasia mutated (ATM) gene results in an increased risk to develop cancer. We show that ATM deficiency in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) significantly induce mitochondrial deacetylase sirtuin-3 (SIRT3) activity, disrupted mitochondrial structure, decreased mitochondrial respiration, and compromised TCA flux compared with DLBCL cells expressing wild type (WT)-ATM. This corresponded to enrichment of glutamate receptor and glutamine pathways in ATM deficient background compared to WT-ATM DLBCL cells. ATM−/− DLBCL cells have decreased apoptosis in contrast to radiosensitive non-cancerous A-T cells. In vivo studies using gain and loss of SIRT3 expression showed that SIRT3 promotes growth of ATM CRISPR knockout DLBCL xenografts compared to wild-type ATM control xenografts. Importantly, screening of DLBCL patient samples identified SIRT3 as a putative therapeutic target, and validated an inverse relationship between ATM and SIRT3 expression. Our data predicts SIRT3 as an important therapeutic target for DLBCL patients with ATM null phenotype. Copyright 2020, The Author(s).
SponsorsGrant funding support from ACS (10021596) (KB), ICTR (KB), and support by a Merit Review Award from the Department of Veterans Affairs (RBG) RO1-10019169.
KeywordAtaxia Telangiectasia Mutated Proteins--genetics
Lymphoma, Large B-Cell, Diffiuse--genetics
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14560
- Non-oncogene Addiction to SIRT3 Plays a Critical Role in Lymphomagenesis.
- Authors: Li M, Chiang YL, Lyssiotis CA, Teater MR, Hong JY, Shen H, Wang L, Hu J, Jing H, Chen Z, Jain N, Duy C, Mistry SJ, Cerchietti L, Cross JR, Cantley LC, Green MR, Lin H, Melnick AM
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 10
- ATM deficiency promotes development of murine B-cell lymphomas that resemble diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in humans.
- Authors: Hathcock KS, Padilla-Nash HM, Camps J, Shin DM, Triner D, Shaffer AL 3rd, Maul RW, Steinberg SM, Gearhart PJ, Staudt LM, Morse HC 3rd, Ried T, Hodes RJ
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 12
- Mutation of the ATM gene is not involved in the pathogenesis of either follicle center lymphoma or its transformation to higher-grade lymphoma.
- Authors: Lossos IS, Thorstenson YR, Wayne TL, Oefner PJ, Levy R, Chu G
- Issue date: 2002 May
- ATM mutations are associated with inactivation of the ARF-TP53 tumor suppressor pathway in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Grønbaek K, Worm J, Ralfkiaer E, Ahrenkiel V, Hokland P, Guldberg P
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 15
- Ataxia telangiectasia mutated kinase deficiency impairs the autophagic response early during myocardial infarction.
- Authors: Thrasher PR, Scofield SLC, Dalal S, Crawford CC, Singh M, Singh K
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1