Elevated inflammatory gene expression in intervertebral disc tissues in mice with ADAM8 inactivated
Shofer, Frances S
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe found ADAM8 enzymatic activity elevated in degenerative human intervertebral disc (IVD). Here, we examined the discs in ADAM8-inactivation mice that carry a mutation preventing self-activation of the enzyme. Surprisingly, elevated gene expression for inflammatory markers (Cxcl1, IL6) was observed in injured discs of ADAM8 mutant mice, along with elevated expression of type 2 collagen gene (Col2a1), compared with wild type controls. Injured annulus fibrosus of mutant and wild type mice contained a higher proportion of large collagen fibers compared with intact discs, as documented by microscopic examination under circular polarized light. In the intact IVDs, Adam8EQ mouse AF contained lower proportion of yellow (intermediate) fiber than WT mice. This suggests that ADAM8 may regulate inflammation and collagen fiber assembly. The seemingly contradictory findings of elevated inflammatory markers in mutant mice and excessive ADAM8 activity in human degenerative discs suggest that ADAM8 may interact with other enzymatic and pro-inflammatory processes needed for tissue maintenance and repair. As a future therapeutic intervention to retard intervertebral disc degeneration, partial inhibition of ADAM8 proteolysis may be more desirable than complete inactivation of this enzyme.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14514
- Mechanical destabilization induced by controlled annular incision of the intervertebral disc dysregulates metalloproteinase expression and induces disc degeneration.
- Authors: Melrose J, Shu C, Young C, Ho R, Smith MM, Young AA, Smith SS, Gooden B, Dart A, Podadera J, Appleyard RC, Little CB
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 1
- Reduced incidence and severity of experimental autoimmune arthritis in mice expressing catalytically inactive A disintegrin and metalloproteinase 8 (ADAM8).
- Authors: Zack MD, Melton MA, Stock JL, Storer CE, Barve RA, Minnerly JC, Weiss DJ, Stejskal JA, Tortorella MD, Turk JR, Shevlin KM, Malfait AM
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Expression levels of the metalloproteinase ADAM8 critically regulate proliferation, migration and malignant signalling events in hepatoma cells.
- Authors: Awan T, Babendreyer A, Mahmood Alvi A, Düsterhöft S, Lambertz D, Bartsch JW, Liedtke C, Ludwig A
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Roles of ADAM8 in elimination of injured muscle fibers prior to skeletal muscle regeneration.
- Authors: Nishimura D, Sakai H, Sato T, Sato F, Nishimura S, Toyama-Sorimachi N, Bartsch JW, Sehara-Fujisawa A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Intervertebral Disc Degeneration in a Percutaneous Mouse Tail Injury Model.
- Authors: Tian Z, Ma X, Yasen M, Mauck RL, Qin L, Shofer FS, Smith LJ, Pacifici M, Enomoto-Iwamoto M, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2018 Mar