Full-thickness Skin Micro-columns within a Dermal Matrix: A Novel Method for "Donor-free" Skin Replacement
JournalPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Global Open
PublisherLippincott Williams and Wilkins
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSummary: Split-thickness skin graft has been the standard in the coverage of large full-thickness skin defects. However, donor sites can be associated with significant pain and scarring. Further, the recipient sites frequently lack some basic skin functions, such as temperature regulation, uniform texture, appropriate color, normal pliability, elasticity, and lubrication. Full-thickness skin grafts, while able to more adequately recapitulate skin function, have even greater donor site requirements. Implantation of full-thickness skin micro-columns is a relatively novel concept in which the skin is harvested orthogonally rather than tangentially. These micro-columns contain elements of full-thickness skin grafts, including reticular dermal fibroblasts, hair follicles, skin adnexa, and adipose tissue - all elements that contribute to skin function. Notably, it has been shown that the diameter of the skin micro-columns determine donor site morbidity; however, in most cases, full-thickness skin micro-column harvest results in a trivial donor site far less invasive or morbid than a traditional full-thickness skin graft or split-thickness skin graft harvest. Here, we present 2 cases in which full-thickness skin micro-columns were harvested and implanted into a bilayer dermal regeneration matrix (Integra) to achieve durable single-stage skin replacement with practically no donor site morbidity.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 The Authors. Published by Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. on behalf of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14432
- Accelerated epithelialization and improved wound healing metrics in porcine full-thickness wounds transplanted with full-thickness skin micrografts.
- Authors: Rettinger CL, Fletcher JL, Carlsson AH, Chan RK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Fractional Skin Harvesting: Autologous Skin Grafting without Donor-site Morbidity.
- Authors: Tam J, Wang Y, Farinelli WA, Jiménez-Lozano J, Franco W, Sakamoto FH, Cheung EJ, Purschke M, Doukas AG, Anderson RR
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- [Effects of microporous porcine acellular dermal matrix combined with bone marrow mesenchymal cells of rats on the regeneration of cutaneous appendages cells in nude mice].
- Authors: Luo X, Xin GH, Zeng TF, Lin C, Zeng YL, Li YC, Qiu ZL
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- The use of split-thickness dermal grafts to resurface full thickness skin defects.
- Authors: Rubis BA, Danikas D, Neumeister M, Williams WG, Suchy H, Milner SM
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Feasibility and Advantages of Full Thickness Skin Graft from the Anterolateral Thigh.
- Authors: Shin SH, Kim C, Lee YS, Kang JW, Chung YG
- Issue date: 2017 Dec