A virtual emergency: learning lessons from remote medical student education during the COVID-19 pandemic.
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media Deutschland GmbH
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose: The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in the cancelation of traditional on-site clinical rotations for medical students across the country. Radiology educators have had to rapidly adapt to a new, virtual educational landscape. We describe our experience restructuring a Trauma and Emergency Radiology Elective to an online format and present survey data obtained from students who completed the course. Methods: This elective is a 4-week course offered to third and fourth year medical students at a large Level 1 Trauma Center. Changes to the traditional rotation included assigning an increased number of self-study educational resources, independent review of unknown cases using a virtual workstation, and online interactive conferences. At the conclusion of each block, students were asked to complete post-course feedback surveys. Results: Thirteen students enrolled in this online course; 92% submitted post-course surveys. Students strongly agreed that the course was clinically relevant, with accessible, engaging material (average score, 4.92/5), and 91.7% of students were very likely to recommend this rotation to others. Students reported improved post-course confidence in ordering and interpreting imaging studies. A majority (60%) of students who had previously taken an on-site course would have preferred a course that combined traditional and online learning elements. Conclusions: The success of our online rotation highlights the merits of self-directed learning and flipped-classroom techniques. Many of the principles incorporated into this course could be applied and/or modified to increase medical student engagement when students return to the hospital. © 2021, American Society of Emergency Radiology.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14377
- Radiology Medical Student Education 2020: Surveys of the Alliance of Medical Student Educators in Radiology and Medical Students.
- Authors: Smith EB, Boscak A, Friedman EM, Frand S, Deitte LA, Benefield T, Jordan S
- Issue date: 2022 Feb
- Medical student education in the time of COVID-19: A virtual solution to the introductory radiology elective.
- Authors: Belfi LM, Dean KE, Bartolotta RJ, Shih G, Min RJ
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Medical Student Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Initial Experiences Implementing a Virtual Interventional Radiology Elective Course.
- Authors: DePietro DM, Santucci SE, Harrison NE, Kiefer RM, Trerotola SO, Sudheendra D, Shamimi-Noori S
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Designing virtual patient based self-study quizzes covering learning goals in clinical diagnostic sciences for undergraduate medical students - the radiology example.
- Authors: Wagner-Menghin M, Szenes V, Scharitzer M, Pokieser P
- Issue date: 2020
- Medical Student Education Roadblock Due to COVID-19: Virtual Radiology Core Clerkship to the Rescue.
- Authors: Durfee SM, Goldenson RP, Gill RR, Rincon SP, Flower E, Avery LL
- Issue date: 2020 Oct