AuthorWells, Chad R
Townsend, Jeffrey P
Moghadas, Seyed M
McDonald, Robert H
Fitzpatrick, Meagan C
Galvani, Alison P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFor COVID-19, it is vital to understand if quarantines shorter than 14 days can be equally effective with judiciously deployed testing. Here, we develop a mathematical model that quantifies the probability of post-quarantine transmission incorporating testing into travel quarantine, quarantine of traced contacts with an unknown time of infection, and quarantine of cases with a known time of exposure. We find that testing on exit (or entry and exit) can reduce the duration of a 14-day quarantine by 50%, while testing on entry shortens quarantine by at most one day. In a real-world test of our theory applied to offshore oil rig employees, 47 positives were obtained with testing on entry and exit to quarantine, of which 16 had tested negative at entry; preventing an expected nine offshore transmission events that each could have led to outbreaks. We show that appropriately timed testing can make shorter quarantines effective. © 2021, The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14370
- Optimal COVID-19 quarantine and testing strategies.
- Authors: Wells CR, Townsend JP, Pandey A, Moghadas SM, Krieger G, Singer B, McDonald RH, Fitzpatrick MC, Galvani AP
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 30
- Quantifying the impact of quarantine duration on COVID-19 transmission.
- Authors: Ashcroft P, Lehtinen S, Angst DC, Low N, Bonhoeffer S
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 5
- Comparison of molecular testing strategies for COVID-19 control: a mathematical modelling study.
- Authors: Grassly NC, Pons-Salort M, Parker EPK, White PJ, Ferguson NM, Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team.
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Reducing travel-related SARS-CoV-2 transmission with layered mitigation measures: symptom monitoring, quarantine, and testing.
- Authors: Johansson MA, Wolford H, Paul P, Diaz PS, Chen TH, Brown CM, Cetron MS, Alvarado-Ramy F
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 14
- Successful containment of a flight-imported COVID-19 outbreak through extensive contact tracing, systematic testing and mandatory quarantine: Lessons from Vietnam.
- Authors: Quach HL, Hoang NT, Nguyen CK, Pham QT, Phung CD, Tran ND, Le QMT, Ngu DN, Tran AT, La NQ, Tran DQ, Nguyen TT, Vogt F, Dang DA
- Issue date: 2021 Jul-Aug