Clinical strategies for optimizing infusion center care through a pandemic
JournalJournal of Oncology Pharmacy Practice : Official Publication of the International Society of Oncology Pharmacy Practitioners
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe national pandemic resulting from the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has made the delivery of care for patients with cancer a challenge. There are competing risks of mortality from cancer versus serious complications and higher risk of death from COVID-19 in immunocompromised hosts. Furthermore, compounding these concerns is the inadequate supply of personal protective equipment, decreased hospital capacity, and paucity of effective treatments or vaccines to date for COVID-19. Guidance measures and recommendations have been published by national organizations aiming to facilitate the delivery of care in a safe and effective manner, many of which, are permanently adoptable interventions. Given the critical importance to continue chemotherapy, there remains additional interventions to further enhance patient safety while conserving healthcare resources such as adjustments in medication administration, reduction in laboratory or drug monitoring, and home delivery of specialty infusions. In this manuscript, we outline how to implement these actionable interventions of chemotherapy and supportive care delivery to further enhance the current precautionary measures while maintaining safe and effective patient care. Coupled with current published standards, these strategies can help alleviate the numerous challenges associated with this pandemic. © The Author(s) 2020.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14355
- Suicidal Ideation
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TvH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- [Health professionals facing the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic: What are the mental health risks?]
- Authors: El-Hage W, Hingray C, Lemogne C, Yrondi A, Brunault P, Bienvenu T, Etain B, Paquet C, Gohier B, Bennabi D, Birmes P, Sauvaget A, Fakra E, Prieto N, Bulteau S, Vidailhet P, Camus V, Leboyer M, Krebs MO, Aouizerate B
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Pharmacy Emergency Preparedness and Response (PEPR): a proposed framework for expanding pharmacy professionals' roles and contributions to emergency preparedness and response during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
- Authors: Aruru M, Truong HA, Clark S
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Safety and Efficacy of Imatinib for Hospitalized Adults with COVID-19: A structured summary of a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Emadi A, Chua JV, Talwani R, Bentzen SM, Baddley J
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 28
- COVID-19 risk for patients undergoing anticancer treatment at the outpatient clinic of the National Cancer Institute of Milan: the COVINT study.
- Authors: Nichetti F, Bini M, Ambrosini M, Ottini A, Rametta A, Leporati R, Polastri D, Pircher C, Dotti K, Ferrari L, de Braud F
- Issue date: 2020 Nov