Suicide Attempts and Perceived Social Support among Chinese Drug Users: The Mediating Role of Self-Esteem and Depression
JournalInternational Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSuicidal behavior is a severe problem among drug users. This study examines influential factors related to suicide attempts and analyzes possible mediators of the relationship between perceived social support and suicide attempts amongst Chinese drug users under compulsory institutional drug treatment. Taking perceived social support as the independent variable, we found that the relationship between suicide attempts and perceived social support is mediated by self-esteem as a protective factor and depression as a risk factor. Path analysis shows that self-esteem contributes relatively more to the indirect effects than depression does, accounting for 31.1% and 24.2% of the total effect, respectively. Generally speaking, the findings of this study point to an urgent need for addressing suicide attempts among Chinese drug users while treating self-esteem as the protective factor that deserves as substantial attention as depression receives. © 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14353
- Alone? Perceived social support and chronic interpersonal difficulties in suicidal elders.
- Authors: Harrison KE, Dombrovski AY, Morse JQ, Houck P, Schlernitzauer M, Reynolds CF 3rd, Szanto K
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Psychological pathway to suicidal ideation among people living with HIV/AIDS in China: A structural equation model.
- Authors: Wang W, Wang Y, Xiao C, Yao X, Yang Y, Yan H, Li S
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Utilized social support and self-esteem mediate the relationship between perceived social support and suicide ideation. A test of a multiple mediator model.
- Authors: Kleiman EM, Riskind JH
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 1
- Suicidal and nonsuicidal adolescents: different factors contribute to self-esteem.
- Authors: Grøholt B, Ekeberg O, Wichstrøm L, Haldorsen T
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Perceived social support and suicide ideation in Chinese rural left-behind children: A possible mediating role of depression.
- Authors: Xiao Y, Chen Y, Chang W, Pu Y, Chen X, Guo J, Li Y, Yin F
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 15