Current Psychotropic Medication Use and Contributing Factors Among Nursing Home Residents With Cognitive Impairment
Van Haitsma, Kimberly
JournalClinical Nursing Research
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study described current use and predictors of psychotropics among residents with moderate to severe cognitive impairment. This was a secondary data analysis using baseline data from the first 341 residents in an ongoing trial. Predictive measures included age, gender, race, depressive symptoms, agitation, resistiveness to care, depression, cognition, pain, comorbidities, facility factors, and state. Overall 63% (n = 211) received at least one psychotropic medication, 16% (n = 52) an anti-seizure medication, 23% (n = 77) an anxiolytic, 30% (n = 99) an antidepressant, 2% (n = 8) a sedative hypnotic, 28% (n = 93) an antipsychotic medication, and 9% (n = 29) an opioid. Testing of models explained 9% to 15% of psychotropic medication use. There were high rates of psychotropic medication use and a limited association between demographic factors, behavioral symptoms, and psychotropic medication use. Continued research is needed to explore the impact of deprescribing, person-centered behavioral interventions, and beliefs of providers on psychotropic medication use.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14351
- Psychotropic use and associated neuropsychiatric symptoms among patients with dementia in the USA.
- Authors: Maust DT, Langa KM, Blow FC, Kales HC
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Prevalence of psychotropic medication use among German and Austrian nursing home residents: a comparison of 3 cohorts.
- Authors: Richter T, Mann E, Meyer G, Haastert B, Köpke S
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Suicidal Ideation
- Authors: Harmer B, Lee S, Duong TvH, Saadabadi A
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Psychotropic and cognitive-enhancing medication use and its documentation in contemporary long-term care practice.
- Authors: Rojas-Fernandez C, Mikhail M, Brown SG
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Comparing Three Methods for Reducing Psychotropic Use in Older Demented Spanish Care Home Residents.
- Authors: Weeks WB, Mishra MK, Curto D, Petersen CL, Cano P, Hswen Y, Serra SV, Elwyn G, Godfrey MM, Soro PS, Tomás JF
- Issue date: 2019 Jul