Policy statement from the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA): Only medical contraindications should be accepted as a reason for not receiving all routine immunizations as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
AuthorWeber, David J
Talbot, Thomas R
JournalInfection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
PublisherCambridge University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSHEA endorses adhering to the recommendations by the CDC and ACIP for immunizations of all children and adults. All persons providing clinical care should be familiar with these recommendations and should routinely assess immunization compliance of their patients and strongly recommend all routine immunizations to patients. All healthcare personnel (HCP) should be immunized against vaccine-preventable diseases as recommended by the CDC/ACIP (unless immunity is demonstrated by another recommended method). SHEA endorses the policy that immunization should be a condition of employment or functioning (students, contract workers, volunteers, etc) at a healthcare facility. Only recognized medical contraindications should be accepted for not receiving recommended immunizations. ©
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14339
- Recommendations for using smallpox vaccine in a pre-event vaccination program. Supplemental recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC).
- Authors: Wharton M, Strikas RA, Harpaz R, Rotz LD, Schwartz B, Casey CG, Pearson ML, Anderson LJ, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices., Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee.
- Issue date: 2003 Apr 4
- Multisociety statement on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination as a condition of employment for healthcare personnel.
- Authors: Weber DJ, Al-Tawfiq JA, Babcock HM, Bryant K, Drees M, Elshaboury R, Essick K, Fakih M, Henderson DK, Javaid W, Juffras D, Jump RLP, Lee F, Malani AN, Mathew TA, Murthy RK, Nace D, O'Shea T, Pettigrew E, Pettis AM, Schaffzin JK, Shenoy ES, Vaishampayan J, Wiley Z, Wright SB, Yokoe D, Young H
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices Recommended Immunization Schedule for Adults Aged 19 Years or Older - United States, 2022.
- Authors: Murthy N, Wodi AP, Bernstein H, McNally V, Cineas S, Ault K
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 18
- Prevention of measles, rubella, congenital rubella syndrome, and mumps, 2013: summary recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
- Authors: McLean HQ, Fiebelkorn AP, Temte JL, Wallace GS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 14
- Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices - United States, 2020-21 Influenza Season.
- Authors: Grohskopf LA, Alyanak E, Broder KR, Blanton LH, Fry AM, Jernigan DB, Atmar RL
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 21