Extracellular Vesicles from Red Blood Cells and Their Evolving Roles in Health, Coagulopathy and Therapy
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRed blood cells (RBCs) release extracellular vesicles (EVs) including both endosome-de-rived exosomes and plasma-membrane-derived microvesicles (MVs). RBC-derived EVs (RBCEVs) are secreted during erythropoiesis, physiological cellular aging, disease conditions, and in response to environmental stressors. RBCEVs are enriched in various bioactive molecules that facilitate cell to cell communication and can act as markers of disease. RBCEVs contribute towards physiological adaptive responses to hypoxia as well as pathophysiological progression of diabetes and genetic non-malignant hematologic disease. Moreover, a considerable number of studies focus on the role of EVs from stored RBCs and have evaluated post transfusion consequences associated with their exposure. Interestingly, RBCEVs are important contributors toward coagulopathy in hematological disorders, thus representing a unique evolving area of study that can provide insights into molecular mechanisms that contribute toward dysregulated hemostasis associated with several disease conditions. Relevant work to this point provides a foundation on which to build further studies focused on unraveling the potential roles of RBCEVs in health and disease. In this review, we provide an analysis and summary of RBCEVs biogenesis, composition, and their biological function with a special emphasis on RBCEV pathophysiological contribution to coagulopathy. Further, we consider potential therapeutic applications of RBCEVs. © 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
red blood cells
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14324
- Extracellular vesicles as therapeutic tools in cardiovascular diseases.
- Authors: Fleury A, Martinez MC, Le Lay S
- Issue date: 2014
- Probing the mechanisms of extracellular vesicle biogenesis and function in cancer.
- Authors: Latifkar A, Cerione RA, Antonyak MA
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 19
- Extracellular Vesicles and Their Roles in Cancer Progression.
- Authors: Chang WH, Cerione RA, Antonyak MA
- Issue date: 2021
- Human Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles: Characteristics and Applications.
- Authors: Jeske R, Bejoy J, Marzano M, Li Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- The Biological Function of Extracellular Vesicles during Fertilization, Early Embryo-Maternal Crosstalk and Their Involvement in Reproduction: Review and Overview.
- Authors: Capra E, Lange-Consiglio A
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 4