DNA Methylation in Prostate Tumor Tissue Is Associated with Gleason Score
AuthorBarry, Kathryn Hughes
Erickson, Patricia A
Bentzen, Søren M
Berndt, Sonja I
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIncreasing evidence suggests a role of epigenetic mechanisms at chromosome 8q24, an important cancer genetic susceptibility region, in prostate cancer. We investigated whether MYC DNA methylation at 8q24 (six CpG sites from exon 3 to the 3' UTR) in prostate tumor was associated with tumor aggressiveness (based on Gleason score, GS), and we incorporated RNA expression data to investigate the function. We accessed radical prostatectomy tissue for 50 Caucasian and 50 African American prostate cancer patients at the University of Maryland Medical Center, selecting an equal number of GS 6 and GS 7 cases per group. MYC DNA methylation was lower in tumor than paired normal prostate tissue for all six CpG sites (median difference: -14.74 to -0.20 percentage points), and we observed similar results for two nearby sites in The Cancer Genome Atlas (p < 0.0001). We observed significantly lower methylation for more aggressive (GS 7) than less aggressive (GS 6) tumors for three exon 3 sites (for CpG 212 (chr8:128753145), GS 6 median = 89.7%; GS 7 median = 85.8%; p-value = 9.4 × 10-4). MYC DNA methylation was not associated with MYC expression, but was inversely associated with PRNCR1 expression after multiple comparison adjustment (q-value = 0.04). Findings suggest that prostate tumor MYC exon 3 hypomethylation is associated with increased aggressiveness.
Gleason score (GS)
non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs)
tumor tissue biomarkers
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14321
- Epigenetic signature of Gleason score and prostate cancer recurrence after radical prostatectomy.
- Authors: Geybels MS, Wright JL, Bibikova M, Klotzle B, Fan JB, Zhao S, Feng Z, Ostrander EA, Lin DW, Nelson PS, Stanford JL
- Issue date: 2016
- GBX2 Methylation Is a Novel Prognostic Biomarker and Improves Prediction of Biochemical Recurrence Among Patients with Prostate Cancer Negative for Intraductal Carcinoma and Cribriform Architecture.
- Authors: Jeyapala R, Savio AJ, Olkhov-Mitsel E, Kamdar S, Zhao F, Cuizon C, Liu RSC, Zlotta A, Fleshner N, van der Kwast T, Bapat B
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Epigenome-Wide Association Study of Prostate Cancer in African Americans Identifies DNA Methylation Biomarkers for Aggressive Disease.
- Authors: Xu Y, Tsai CW, Chang WS, Han Y, Huang M, Pettaway CA, Bau DT, Gu J
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 3
- Aberrant Hypermethylation-Mediated Suppression of PYCARD Is Extremely Frequent in Prostate Cancer with Gleason Score ≥ 7.
- Authors: Miyauchi T, Takahashi M, Mitsuzuka K, Saiki Y, Okubo T, Vertino PM, Goto A, Arai Y, Horii A, Fukushige S
- Issue date: 2021
- Comprehensive Evaluation of TFF3 Promoter Hypomethylation and Molecular Biomarker Potential for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis and Prognosis.
- Authors: Nørgaard M, Haldrup C, Storebjerg TM, Vestergaard EM, Wild PJ, Høyer S, Borre M, Ørntoft TF, Sørensen KD
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 20