Autoantibodies against tumor-associated antigens in sputum as biomarkers for lung cancer.
PublisherNeoplasia Press, Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTumor antigens (TAs) can initiate host immune responses and produce TA-associated autoantibody (TAAbs), potential cancer biomarkers. Sputum is directly generated from the upper and lower airways, and thus can be used as a surrogate sample for the diagnosis of lung cancer based on molecular analysis. To develop sputum TAAb biomarkers for the early detection of lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer death, we probed a protein microarray containing more than 9,000 antigens with sputum supernatants of a discovery set of 30 lung cancer patients and 30 cancer-free smokers. Twenty-eight TAs with higher reactivity in sputum of lung cancer cases vs. controls were identified. The diagnostic significance of TAAbs against the TAs was determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISAs) in sputum of the discovery set and additional 166 lung cancer patients and 213 cancer-free smokers (validation set). Three sputum TAAbs against DDX6, ENO1, and 14–3-3ζ were developed as a biomarker panel with 81% sensitivity and 83% specificity for diagnosis of lung cancer, regardless of stages, locations, and histological types of lung tumors. This study provides the first evidence that sputum TAAbs could be used as biomarkers for the early detection of lung cancer.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020. Published by Elsevier Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14310
- Autoantibodies as diagnostic biomarkers for lung cancer: A systematic review.
- Authors: Yang B, Li X, Ren T, Yin Y
- Issue date: 2019
- Serum tumor-associated autoantibodies as diagnostic biomarkers for lung cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Tang ZM, Ling ZG, Wang CM, Wu YB, Kong JL
- Issue date: 2017
- Identification of ENO1 as a potential sputum biomarker for early-stage lung cancer by shotgun proteomics.
- Authors: Yu L, Shen J, Mannoor K, Guarnera M, Jiang F
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Identification of Novel Autoantibodies Based on the Human Proteomic Chips and Evaluation of Their Performance in the Detection of Gastric Cancer.
- Authors: Cui C, Duan Y, Qiu C, Wang P, Sun G, Ye H, Dai L, Han Z, Song C, Wang K, Shi J, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2021
- Comparative Study of Autoantibody Responses between Lung Adenocarcinoma and Benign Pulmonary Nodules.
- Authors: Wang J, Shivakumar S, Barker K, Tang Y, Wallstrom G, Park JG, Tsay JC, Pass HI, Rom WN, LaBaer J, Qiu J
- Issue date: 2016 Mar