Incidence of symptomatic venous thromboembolism following hospitalization for coronavirus disease 2019: Prospective results from a multi-center study.
Heresi, Gustavo A
Foumani, Ali Alavi
Muhammadi, Muhammad Javad
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Thrombosis and pulmonary embolism appear to be major causes of mortality in hospitalized coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients. However, few studies have focused on the incidence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) after hospitalization for COVID-19. Methods: In this multi-center study, we followed 1529 COVID-19 patients for at least 45 days after hospital discharge, who underwent routine telephone follow-up. In case of signs or symptoms of pulmonary embolism (PE) or deep vein thrombosis (DVT), they were invited for an in-hospital visit with a pulmonologist. The primary outcome was symptomatic VTE within 45 days of hospital discharge. Results: Of 1529 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospital, a total of 228 (14.9%) reported potential signs or symptoms of PE or DVT and were seen for an in-hospital visit. Of these, 13 and 12 received Doppler ultrasounds or pulmonary CT angiography, respectively, of whom only one patient was diagnosed with symptomatic PE. Of 51 (3.3%) patients who died after discharge, two deaths were attributed to VTE corresponding to a 45-day cumulative rate of symptomatic VTE of 0.2% (95%CI 0.1%–0.6%; n = 3). There was no evidence of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in these patients. Other deaths after hospital discharge included myocardial infarction (n = 13), heart failure (n = 9), and stroke (n = 9). Conclusions: We did not observe a high rate of symptomatic VTE in COVID-19 patients after hospital discharge. Routine extended thromboprophylaxis after hospitalization for COVID-19 may not have a net clinical benefit. Randomized trials may be warranted.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14308
- Updated hospital associated venous thromboembolism outcomes with 90-days follow-up after hospitalisation for severe COVID-19 in two UK critical care units.
- Authors: Doyle AJ, Thomas W, Retter A, Besser M, MacDonald S, Breen KA, Desborough MJR, Hunt BJ
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Postdischarge venous thromboembolic complications following pulmonary oncologic resection: An underdetected problem.
- Authors: Agzarian J, Hanna WC, Schneider L, Schieman C, Finley CJ, Peysakhovich Y, Schnurr T, Nguyen-Do D, Linkins LA, Douketis J, Crowther M, De Perrot M, Waddell TK, Shargall Y
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Incidence of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
- Authors: Middeldorp S, Coppens M, van Haaps TF, Foppen M, Vlaar AP, Müller MCA, Bouman CCS, Beenen LFM, Kootte RS, Heijmans J, Smits LP, Bonta PI, van Es N
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Incidence of symptomatic venous thromboembolism in 2372 knee and hip replacement patients after discharge: data from a thromboprophylaxis registry in Montreal, Canada.
- Authors: Senay A, Trottier M, Delisle J, Banica A, Benoit B, Laflamme GY, Malo M, Nguyen H, Ranger P, Fernandes JC
- Issue date: 2018
- Epidemiology of venous thromboembolism in Africa: a systematic review.
- Authors: Danwang C, Temgoua MN, Agbor VN, Tankeu AT, Noubiap JJ
- Issue date: 2017 Sep