Incidence of symptomatic venous thromboembolism following hospitalization for coronavirus disease 2019: Prospective results from a multi-center study.
Heresi, Gustavo A
Foumani, Ali Alavi
Muhammadi, Muhammad Javad
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Thrombosis and pulmonary embolism appear to be major causes of mortality in hospitalized coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients. However, few studies have focused on the incidence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) after hospitalization for COVID-19. Methods: In this multi-center study, we followed 1529 COVID-19 patients for at least 45 days after hospital discharge, who underwent routine telephone follow-up. In case of signs or symptoms of pulmonary embolism (PE) or deep vein thrombosis (DVT), they were invited for an in-hospital visit with a pulmonologist. The primary outcome was symptomatic VTE within 45 days of hospital discharge. Results: Of 1529 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospital, a total of 228 (14.9%) reported potential signs or symptoms of PE or DVT and were seen for an in-hospital visit. Of these, 13 and 12 received Doppler ultrasounds or pulmonary CT angiography, respectively, of whom only one patient was diagnosed with symptomatic PE. Of 51 (3.3%) patients who died after discharge, two deaths were attributed to VTE corresponding to a 45-day cumulative rate of symptomatic VTE of 0.2% (95%CI 0.1%–0.6%; n = 3). There was no evidence of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in these patients. Other deaths after hospital discharge included myocardial infarction (n = 13), heart failure (n = 9), and stroke (n = 9). Conclusions: We did not observe a high rate of symptomatic VTE in COVID-19 patients after hospital discharge. Routine extended thromboprophylaxis after hospitalization for COVID-19 may not have a net clinical benefit. Randomized trials may be warranted.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14308
- Updated hospital associated venous thromboembolism outcomes with 90-days follow-up after hospitalisation for severe COVID-19 in two UK critical care units.
- Authors: Doyle AJ, Thomas W, Retter A, Besser M, MacDonald S, Breen KA, Desborough MJR, Hunt BJ
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Venous Thromboembolism in Patients Discharged after COVID-19 Hospitalization.
- Authors: Engelen MM, Vandenbriele C, Balthazar T, Claeys E, Gunst J, Guler I, Jacquemin M, Janssens S, Lorent N, Liesenborghs L, Peerlinck K, Pieters G, Rex S, Sinonquel P, Van der Linden L, Van Laer C, Vos R, Wauters J, Wilmer A, Verhamme P, Vanassche T
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Postdischarge venous thromboembolic complications following pulmonary oncologic resection: An underdetected problem.
- Authors: Agzarian J, Hanna WC, Schneider L, Schieman C, Finley CJ, Peysakhovich Y, Schnurr T, Nguyen-Do D, Linkins LA, Douketis J, Crowther M, De Perrot M, Waddell TK, Shargall Y
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Incidence of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
- Authors: Middeldorp S, Coppens M, van Haaps TF, Foppen M, Vlaar AP, Müller MCA, Bouman CCS, Beenen LFM, Kootte RS, Heijmans J, Smits LP, Bonta PI, van Es N
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Incidence of symptomatic venous thromboembolism in 2372 knee and hip replacement patients after discharge: data from a thromboprophylaxis registry in Montreal, Canada.
- Authors: Senay A, Trottier M, Delisle J, Banica A, Benoit B, Laflamme GY, Malo M, Nguyen H, Ranger P, Fernandes JC
- Issue date: 2018