Guidelines for oral and maxillofacial imaging: COVID-19 considerations
AuthorMacDonald, David S
Colosi, Dan C
Shintaku, Werner H
JournalOral surgery, Oral medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSevere acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus causing the current coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, is not only highly infectious but can induce serious outcomes in vulnerable individuals including dental patients and dental health care personnel (DHCPs). Responses to COVID-19 have been published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Dental Association, but a more specific response is required for the safe practice of oral and maxillofacial radiology. We aim to review the current knowledge of how the disease threatens patients and DHCPs and how to determine which patients are likely to be SARS-CoV-2 infected; consider how the use of personal protective equipment and infection control measures based on current best practices and science can reduce the risk of disease transmission during radiologic procedures; and examine how intraoral radiography, with its potentially greater risk of spreading the disease, might be replaced by extraoral radiographic techniques for certain diagnostic tasks. This is complemented by a flowchart that can be displayed in all dental offices.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
KeywordCOVID-19--prevention & control
Stomatognathic Diseases--diagnostic imaging
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14304
- Estimating COVID-19 prevalence and infection control practices among US dentists.
- Authors: Estrich CG, Mikkelsen M, Morrissey R, Geisinger ML, Ioannidou E, Vujicic M, Araujo MWB
- Issue date: 2020 Nov
- Transmission routes of SARS-CoV-2 and protective measures in dental clinics during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: Pan Y, Liu H, Chu C, Li X, Liu S, Lu S
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Infection Control in Dental Practice During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Authors: Amato A, Caggiano M, Amato M, Moccia G, Capunzo M, De Caro F
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 2
- Use of personal protective equipment against coronavirus disease 2019 by healthcare professionals in Wuhan, China: cross sectional study.
- Authors: Liu M, Cheng SZ, Xu KW, Yang Y, Zhu QT, Zhang H, Yang DY, Cheng SY, Xiao H, Wang JW, Yao HR, Cong YT, Zhou YQ, Peng S, Kuang M, Hou FF, Cheng KK, Xiao HP
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 10
- Covid-19 Pandemic: What Changes for Dentists and Oral Medicine Experts? A Narrative Review and Novel Approaches to Infection Containment.
- Authors: Bizzoca ME, Campisi G, Muzio LL
- Issue date: 2020 May 27