The Prevalence of Bacterial Infection in Patients Undergoing Elective ACDF for Degenerative Cervical Spine Conditions: A Prospective Cohort Study With Contaminant Control.
AuthorBivona, Louis J
Camacho, Jael E
Bruckner, Jacob J
Bhandutia, Amit K
Koh, Eugene Y
Banagan, Kelley E
Gelb, Daniel E
Ludwig, Steven C
JournalGlobal Spine Journal
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNinety-six patients were enrolled, 41.7% were males with an average age of 54 ± 11 years and a body mass index of 29.7 ± 5.9 kg/m2. Seventeen patients (17.7%) were considered true positives, having a negative control and positive disc culture. Otherwise, no significant differences in culture positivity was found between groups of patients. However, our results show that patients were more likely to have both control and disc negative than being a true positive (odds ratio = 6.2, 95% confidence interval = 2.5-14.6). Propionibacterium acnes was the most commonly identified bacteria. Two patients with disc positive cultures returned to the operating room secondary to pseudarthrosis; however, age, body mass index, prior spine surgery or injection, postoperative infection, and reoperations were not associated with culture results.
anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
degenerative cervical conditions
intervertebral disc infection
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14297
- Degenerate-disc infection study with contaminant control (DISC): a multicenter prospective case-control trial.
- Authors: Rao PJ, Maharaj M, Chau C, Taylor P, Phan K, Choy WJ, Scherman D, Mews P, Scholsem M, Coughlan M, Mobbs R
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Low virulence bacterial infections in cervical intervertebral discs: a prospective case series.
- Authors: Chen Y, Wang X, Zhang X, Ren H, Huang B, Chen J, Liu J, Shan Z, Zhu Z, Zhao F
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- DISC (Degenerate-disc Infection Study With Contaminant Control): Pilot Study of Australian Cohort of Patients Without the Contaminant Control.
- Authors: Rao PJ, Phan K, Reddy R, Scherman DB, Taylor P, Mobbs RJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Chronic opioid use following anterior cervical discectomy and fusion surgery for degenerative cervical pathology.
- Authors: Harris AB, Marrache M, Jami M, Raad M, Puvanesarajah V, Hassanzadeh H, Lee SH, Skolasky R, Bicket M, Jain A
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Clinical outcomes of Bryan cervical disc arthroplasty a prospective, randomized, controlled, single site trial with 48-month follow-up.
- Authors: Garrido BJ, Taha TA, Sasso RC
- Issue date: 2010 Aug