Child Maltreatment, Early Adult Substance Use, and Mediation by Adolescent Behavior Problems
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of the current study was to examine the potential mediating effects of internalizing and externalizing problems at ages 14, 16 and 18 between types of childhood maltreatment and alcohol and marijuana use problems and disorders in young adulthood. Data were from 473 young adults who participated in the Longitudinal Studies of Child Abuse and Neglect (LONGSCAN). Path analysis was conducted to examine pathways between maltreatment type (birth through age 12), internalizing and externalizing problems at three time points during adolescence, and alcohol and marijuana problem use in young adulthood. Findings indicated significant pathways between physical abuse and internalizing problems at 14, which was associated with alcohol-related substance use disorder in adulthood. Externalizing problems and internalizing problems at age 14 mediated the relationship between physical abuse and marijuana-related symptoms in young adulthood. Emotional and sexual abuse were not associated with substance use problems. Implications for practice are discussed.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14241
- Child maltreatment and age of alcohol and marijuana initiation in high-risk youth.
- Authors: Proctor LJ, Lewis T, Roesch S, Thompson R, Litrownik AJ, English D, Arria AM, Isbell P, Dubowitz H
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Child Maltreatment and Substance Use in Emerging Adulthood: Internalizing and Externalizing Behaviors at the Transition to Adolescence as Indirect Pathways.
- Authors: Olson AE, Shenk CE, Noll JG, Allen B
- Issue date: 2022 Aug
- Developmental pathways to adolescent cannabis abuse and dependence: child maltreatment, emerging personality, and internalizing versus externalizing psychopathology.
- Authors: Oshri A, Rogosch FA, Burnette ML, Cicchetti D
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Child maltreatment and adolescent mental health problems in a large birth cohort.
- Authors: Mills R, Scott J, Alati R, O'Callaghan M, Najman JM, Strathearn L
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Longitudinal associations between childhood and adulthood externalizing and internalizing psychopathology and adolescent substance use.
- Authors: Miettunen J, Murray GK, Jones PB, Mäki P, Ebeling H, Taanila A, Joukamaa M, Savolainen J, Törmänen S, Järvelin MR, Veijola J, Moilanen I
- Issue date: 2014 Jun