Child Maltreatment, Early Adult Substance Use, and Mediation by Adolescent Behavior Problems
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of the current study was to examine the potential mediating effects of internalizing and externalizing problems at ages 14, 16 and 18 between types of childhood maltreatment and alcohol and marijuana use problems and disorders in young adulthood. Data were from 473 young adults who participated in the Longitudinal Studies of Child Abuse and Neglect (LONGSCAN). Path analysis was conducted to examine pathways between maltreatment type (birth through age 12), internalizing and externalizing problems at three time points during adolescence, and alcohol and marijuana problem use in young adulthood. Findings indicated significant pathways between physical abuse and internalizing problems at 14, which was associated with alcohol-related substance use disorder in adulthood. Externalizing problems and internalizing problems at age 14 mediated the relationship between physical abuse and marijuana-related symptoms in young adulthood. Emotional and sexual abuse were not associated with substance use problems. Implications for practice are discussed.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14241
- Child maltreatment and age of alcohol and marijuana initiation in high-risk youth.
- Authors: Proctor LJ, Lewis T, Roesch S, Thompson R, Litrownik AJ, English D, Arria AM, Isbell P, Dubowitz H
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Developmental Pathways from Child Maltreatment to Adolescent Substance Use: The Roles of Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms and Mother-Child Relationships.
- Authors: Yoon S, Kobulsky JM, Yoon D, Kim W
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Does the impact of child sexual abuse differ from maltreated but non-sexually abused children? A prospective examination of the impact of child sexual abuse on internalizing and externalizing behavior problems.
- Authors: Lewis T, McElroy E, Harlaar N, Runyan D
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Child maltreatment and adolescent mental health problems in a large birth cohort.
- Authors: Mills R, Scott J, Alati R, O'Callaghan M, Najman JM, Strathearn L
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Longitudinal associations between childhood and adulthood externalizing and internalizing psychopathology and adolescent substance use.
- Authors: Miettunen J, Murray GK, Jones PB, Mäki P, Ebeling H, Taanila A, Joukamaa M, Savolainen J, Törmänen S, Järvelin MR, Veijola J, Moilanen I
- Issue date: 2014 Jun