Reconstitution of T follicular helper-humoral immune axis with elimination of hepatitis C virus
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExhaustion of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)-specific T cells and abnormal B cell function is a hallmark of chronic HCV infection. Direct-acting antiviral (DAA) therapies are effective in achieving sustained virologic response (SVR), however, whether successful DAA treatment reconstitute T follicular helper (TFH)-B cell axis in HCV patients is unclear. Here, we aimed to evaluate the immunological changes in global and HCV-specific CD4 + CXCR5 + TFH, CD4 + CXCR5-T and B cells in 20 HCV patients who achieved SVR with Sofosbuvir and Ledipasvir for 12 weeks and compared with 15 healthy controls (HC). Global and HCV-specific CD4 + CXCR5 + TFH, CD4 + CXCR5-T and CD19 + B cells had significant phenotypic and functional reconstitution post DAA therapy. Reconstitution of effector, central and terminally differentiated memory cell population and increased ICOS and BCL6 expression was seen in HCV patients at SVR12. HCV-specific cytokines were also improved post DAA. Exhausted and regulatory B cells were declined whereas memory B cells were expanded post DAA therapy. Importantly, frequencies of TFH cells were significantly associated with HCV RNA reduction, expansion of memory B and plasmablasts, while negatively associated with exhausted/regulatory B cells. Our results demonstrate that SVR with DAA therapy is effective in the reconstitution of phenotypic and functional abnormalities of TFH-B cell axis.
Keyworddirect-acting antiviral therapy
T-follicular helper-humoral immune axis
Hepatitis C, Chronic--immunology
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14240
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy Restores Immune Tolerance to Patients With Hepatitis C Virus-Induced Cryoglobulinemia Vasculitis.
- Authors: Comarmond C, Garrido M, Pol S, Desbois AC, Costopoulos M, Le Garff-Tavernier M, Si Ahmed SN, Alric L, Fontaine H, Bellier B, Maciejewski A, Rosenzwajg M, Klatzmann D, Musset L, Poynard T, Cacoub P, Saadoun D
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Follicular helper T cell and memory B cell immunity in CHC patients.
- Authors: Liu Y, Ji H, Zhao P, Yan H, Cai Y, Yu L, Hu X, Sun X, Jiang Y
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Circulating T follicular helper cells are associated with rapid virological response in chronic hepatitis C patients undergoing peginterferon therapy.
- Authors: Zhang M, Zhang L, Li H, Chen Z, Luo A, Liu B, Chen M, Peng M, Ren H, Hu P
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Virus-Specific CD4+ T Cells Have Functional and Phenotypic Characteristics of Follicular T-Helper Cells in Patients With Acute and Chronic HCV Infections.
- Authors: Raziorrouh B, Sacher K, Tawar RG, Emmerich F, Neumann-Haefelin C, Baumert TF, Thimme R, Boettler T
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- CD4+ CXCR5+ T cells in chronic HCV infection produce less IL-21, yet are efficient at supporting B cell responses.
- Authors: Spaan M, Kreefft K, de Graav GN, Brouwer WP, de Knegt RJ, ten Kate FJ, Baan CC, Vanwolleghem T, Janssen HL, Boonstra A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb