Walk the Line-The Importance of Well-Informed Interpretation of QT Prolongation.
JournalAnnals of Pharmacotherapy
PublisherSAGE Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAcute care pharmacists play an integral role in identifying drug-drug interactions that may predispose patients to QT prolongation. Although most pharmacists are equipped with a baseline understanding of drug interactions and the risks of QTc prolongation, few understand the limitations of QTc calculation and interpretation. In this commentary, we put forth the notion that at times health care providers, including pharmacists, place an overemphasis on the QTc interval. In the context of using the QTc to guide pharmacotherapy decisions, unintended consequences may include a cascade of effects leading to delays in treatment, suboptimal medication selection, alert fatigue, and overutilization of resources.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14233
- Effectiveness of a clinical decision support system for reducing the risk of QT interval prolongation in hospitalized patients.
- Authors: Tisdale JE, Jaynes HA, Kingery JR, Overholser BR, Mourad NA, Trujillo TN, Kovacs RJ
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Development and validation of a risk score to predict QT interval prolongation in hospitalized patients.
- Authors: Tisdale JE, Jaynes HA, Kingery JR, Mourad NA, Trujillo TN, Overholser BR, Kovacs RJ
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Emergency department approach to QTc prolongation.
- Authors: Pourmand A, Mazer-Amirshahi M, Chistov S, Sabha Y, Vukomanovic D, Almulhim M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- K201, a multi-channel blocker, inhibits clofilium-induced torsades de pointes and attenuates an increase in repolarization.
- Authors: Hasumi H, Matsuda R, Shimamoto K, Hata Y, Kaneko N
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 19
- [Drug induced QT prolongation].
- Authors: Altmann D, Eggmann U, Ammann P
- Issue date: 2008