Optimizing preventive medicine to bridge the gap between clinical medicine and public health for disease control in China: A lesson from COVID-19.
JournalPreventive Medicine Reports
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe pandemic of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) highlights the importance of early detection of disease outbreaks, taking swift and decisive public health actions, and strengthening public health systems. Preventive medicine, as a specialty of medicine, trains students on both clinical medicine and public health and is of a particular need in battling against this pandemic. In China, preventive medicine plays a unique role in the disease control system where preventive medicine graduates represent a large share of the workforce. However, there is a shortage of qualified staff in the Chinese disease control system. The reasons for such a shortage are multifaceted. From the human resource perspective, the undergraduate preventive medicine curricula and exclusive public health training for preventive medicine postgraduates limit their clinical capacities. A series of disease control and public health education reforms may further incapacitate preventive medicine graduates' clinical skills, unintentionally widening the gap between public health and clinical medicine and thus posing threats to effective disease detection and control. The authors call for reforming and optimizing preventive medicine to bridge the gap between clinical medicine and public health by strengthening curricula on clinical medicine, diversifying curricula on public health, enhancing preventive medicine residency programs, and rectifying regulations that restrict preventive medicine graduates from practicing curative medicine.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14230
- Board certification among preventive medicine residency graduates: characteristics, advantages, and barriers.
- Authors: Dannenberg AL, Salive ME, Forston SR Jr, Ring AR, Hersey JC, Parkinson MD
- Issue date: 1994 Sep-Oct
- [Thoughts on the reform of preventive medicine education in the context of new medicine].
- Authors: Liu Y, Jin GF, Wang JM, Xia YK, Shen HB, Wang CQ, Hu ZB
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 6
- Integration of the preventive medicine specialty in the rural and Tribal public health workforce.
- Authors: Jung P, Warne DK
- Issue date: 2020 Oct
- Adequacy of training in preventive medicine and public health: a national survey of residency graduates.
- Authors: Stein DH, Salive ME
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- Practicing preventive medicine: a national survey of general preventive medicine residency graduates--United States, 1991.
- Authors: Liang AP, Dysinger WS, Ring AR, Hersey JC, Parkinson M, Cates W Jr
- Issue date: 1995 May-Jun