Re-assembly of nineteenth-century smallpox vaccine genomes reveals the contemporaneous use of horsepox and horsepox-related viruses in the USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAccording to a recent article published in Genome Biology, Duggan and coworkers sequenced and partially assembled five genomes of smallpox vaccines from the nineteenth century. No information regarding the ends of genomes was presented, and they are important to understand the evolutionary relationship of the different smallpox vaccine genomes during the centuries. We re-assembled the genomes, which include the largest genomes in the vaccinia lineage and one true horsepox strain. Moreover, the assemblies reveal a diverse genetic structure in the genome ends. Our data emphasize the concurrent use of horsepox and horsepox-related viruses as the smallpox vaccine in the nineteenth century.
SponsorsThis work was partially supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (INV-009850, formerly OPP1216026).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14218
- Response to Brinkmann et al. "Re-assembly of 19th century smallpox vaccine genomes reveals the contemporaneous use of horsepox and horsepox-related viruses in the United States".
- Authors: Duggan AT, Holmes EC, Poinar HN
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 4
- Equination (inoculation of horsepox): An early alternative to vaccination (inoculation of cowpox) and the potential role of horsepox virus in the origin of the smallpox vaccine.
- Authors: Esparza J, Schrick L, Damaso CR, Nitsche A
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 19
- Genomic Analysis, Phenotype, and Virulence of the Historical Brazilian Smallpox Vaccine Strain IOC: Implications for the Origins and Evolutionary Relationships of Vaccinia Virus.
- Authors: Medaglia ML, Moussatché N, Nitsche A, Dabrowski PW, Li Y, Damon IK, Lucas CG, Arruda LB, Damaso CR
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Biosecurity Implications for the Synthesis of Horsepox, an Orthopoxvirus.
- Authors: DiEuliis D, Berger K, Gronvall G
- Issue date: 2017 Nov/Dec
- An Early American Smallpox Vaccine Based on Horsepox.
- Authors: Schrick L, Tausch SH, Dabrowski PW, Damaso CR, Esparza J, Nitsche A
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 12