Antibiotics Approved for Marketing in Populations Specifically Excluded From Premarketing Trials, 1999-2018
JournalMayo Clinic Proceedings
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractApproval by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of a drug for a given indication is thought to reassure clinicians, other health care providers, and patients that substantial evidence of effectiveness exists for specific indicated populations (patients and diseases). This study examines whether FDA approval of certain antibiotics should be so reassuring for all patient populations identified in the FDA-approved labels. Specifically, this study compared patient populations covered by FDA-approved labels for 21 novel antibiotics approved between 1999 and 2018 to the patient exclusion and inclusion criteria of pivotal trials that supported those approvals. We found that every FDA-approved label for these antibiotics included at least one identifiable patient population that was explicitly excluded from enrolling in the supporting pivotal trials. Two antibiotics, bedaquiline and ceftazidime-avibactam, were approved for use in populations that were fully excluded from enrolling in registration trials.
Rights/TermsCopyright © 2020 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
United States. Food and Drug Administration
Clinical Trials as Topic
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14208
- Progress in the Fight Against Multidrug-Resistant Bacteria? A Review of U.S. Food and Drug Administration-Approved Antibiotics, 2010-2015.
- Authors: Deak D, Outterson K, Powers JH, Kesselheim AS
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 6
- Analysis of Postapproval Clinical Trials of Therapeutics Approved by the US Food and Drug Administration Without Clinical Postmarketing Requirements or Commitments.
- Authors: Skydel JJ, Luxkaranayagam AT, Dhruva SS, Ross JS, Wallach JD
- Issue date: 2019 May 3
- Postmarketing Modifications of Drug Labels for Cancer Drugs Approved by the US Food and Drug Administration Between 2006 and 2016 With and Without Supporting Randomized Controlled Trials.
- Authors: Shepshelovich D, Tibau A, Goldvaser H, Molto C, Ocana A, Seruga B, Amir E
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 20
- Postmarketing Safety-Related Modifications of Drugs Approved by the US Food and Drug Administration Between 1999 and 2014 Without Randomized Controlled Trials.
- Authors: Shepshelovich D, Tibau A, Goldvaser H, Ocana A, Seruga B, Amir E
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Assessment of Clinical Trials Supporting US Food and Drug Administration Approval of Novel Therapeutic Agents, 1995-2017.
- Authors: Zhang AD, Puthumana J, Downing NS, Shah ND, Krumholz HM, Ross JS
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1