Analgesia and Sedation Strategies in Mechanically Ventilated Adults with COVID-19.
AuthorAdams, Christopher D
Barlow, Brooke L
Droege, Christopher A
Effendi, Muhammad K
Heavner, Mojdeh S
Johnston, Jackie P
Kiskaddon, Amy L
Lemieux, Diana G
Lemieux, Steven M
Littlefield, Audrey J
Owusu, Kent A
Rouse, Ginger E
Thompson Bastin, Melissa L
PublisherPharmacotherapy Publications Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEvidence-based management of analgesia and sedation in COVID-19-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome remains limited. Non-guideline recommended analgesic and sedative medication regimens and deeper sedation targets have been employed for patients with COVID-19 due to exaggerated analgesia and sedation requirements with extended durations of mechanical ventilation. This, coupled with a desire to minimize nurse entry into COVID-19 patient rooms, marked obesity, altered end-organ function, and evolving medication shortages, presents numerous short- and long-term challenges. Alternative analgesic and sedative agents and regimens may pose safety risks and require judicious bedside management for appropriate use. The purpose of this commentary is to provide considerations and solutions for designing safe and effective analgesia and sedation strategies for adult patients with considerable ventilator dyssynchrony and sedation requirements, such as COVID-19.
Rights/Terms© 2020 Pharmacotherapy Publications, Inc.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14202
- Sedation, Analgesia, and Paralysis in COVID-19 Patients in the Setting of Drug Shortages.
- Authors: Ammar MA, Sacha GL, Welch SC, Bass SN, Kane-Gill SL, Duggal A, Ammar AA
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Analgesia and sedation during mechanical ventilation in neonates.
- Authors: Aranda JV, Carlo W, Hummel P, Thomas R, Lehr VT, Anand KJ
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Sedation and analgesia for the mechanically ventilated patient.
- Authors: Brush DR, Kress JP
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Analgosedation: a paradigm shift in intensive care unit sedation practice.
- Authors: Devabhakthuni S, Armahizer MJ, Dasta JF, Kane-Gill SL
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Sedation in the mechanically ventilated patient.
- Authors: Kress JP, Hall JB
- Issue date: 2006 Oct