Antimicrobial peptide activity is anticorrelated with lipid a leaflet affinity
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe activity of antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) has significant bacterial species bias, the mechanisms of which are not fully understood. We employed single-molecule tracking to measure the affinity of three different AMPs to hybrid supported bilayers composed of lipid A extracted from four different Gram negative bacteria and observed a strong empirical anticorrelation between the affinity of a particular AMP to a given lipid A layer and the activity of that AMP towards the bacterium from which that lipid A was extracted. This suggested that the species bias of AMP activity is directly related to AMP interactions with bacterial outer membranes, despite the fact that the mechanism of antimicrobial activity occurs at the inner membrane. The trend also suggested that the interactions between AMPs and the outer membrane lipid A (even in the absence of other components, such as lipopolysaccharides) capture effects that are relevant to the minimum inhibitory concentration.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14199
- Binding of an antimicrobial peptide to bacterial cells: Interaction with different species, strains and cellular components.
- Authors: Savini F, Loffredo MR, Troiano C, Bobone S, Malanovic N, Eichmann TO, Caprio L, Canale VC, Park Y, Mangoni ML, Stella L
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 1
- Comparative Evaluation of the Antimicrobial Activity of Different Antimicrobial Peptides against a Range of Pathogenic Bacteria.
- Authors: Ebbensgaard A, Mordhorst H, Overgaard MT, Nielsen CG, Aarestrup FM, Hansen EB
- Issue date: 2015
- An intimate link between antimicrobial peptide sequence diversity and binding to essential components of bacterial membranes.
- Authors: Schmitt P, Rosa RD, Destoumieux-Garzón D
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Synergistic Effect of Propidium Iodide and Small Molecule Antibiotics with the Antimicrobial Peptide Dendrimer G3KL against Gram-Negative Bacteria.
- Authors: Gan BH, Cai X, Javor S, Köhler T, Reymond JL
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 30
- Design and membrane-disruption mechanism of charge-enriched AMPs exhibiting cell selectivity, high-salt resistance, and anti-biofilm properties.
- Authors: Han HM, Gopal R, Park Y
- Issue date: 2016 Feb