CITCO as an Adjuvant Facilitates CHOP-Based Lymphoma Treatment in hCAR-Transgenic Mice.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNon-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) is a malignant cancer originating in the lymphatic system with a 25-30% mortality rate. CHOP, consisting of cyclophosphamide (CPA), doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone, is a first-generation chemotherapy extensively used to treat NHL. However, poor survival rates among patients in advanced stages of NHL shows a need to improve this standard of care treatment. CPA, an integral component of CHOP, is a prodrug that requires CYP2B6-mediated bioactivation to 4-hydroxy-CPA (4-OH-CPA). The expression of CYP2B6 is transcriptionally regulated by the constitutive androstane receptor (CAR, NRi13). We have previously demonstrated that the induction of hepatic CYP2B6 by CITCO, a selective human CAR (hCAR) agonist, results in CHOP's enhanced antineoplastic effects in vitro. Here, we investigate the in vivo potential of CITCO as an adjuvant of CPA-based NHL treatment in a hCAR-transgenic mouse line. Our results demonstrate that the addition of CITCO to the CHOP regimen leads to significant suppression of the growth of EL-4 xenografts in hCAR-transgenic mice accompanied by reduced expression of cyclin-D1, ki67, Pcna, and increased caspase 3 fragmentation in tumor tissues. CITCO robustly induced the expression of cyp2b10 (murine ortholog of CYP2B6) through hCAR activation and increased plasma concentrations of 4-OH-CPA. Comparing to intraperitoneal injection, oral gavage of CITCO results in optimal hepatic cyp2b10 induction. Our in vivo studies have collectively uncovered CITCO as an effective facilitator for CPA-based NHL treatment with a pharmacokinetic profile favoring oral administration, promoting CITCO as a promising adjuvant candidate for CPA-based regimens.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/14198
- Activation of the Constitutive Androstane Receptor Increases the Therapeutic Index of CHOP in Lymphoma Treatment.
- Authors: Hedrich WD, Xiao J, Heyward S, Zhang Y, Zhang J, Baer MR, Hassan HE, Wang H
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Effective immunochemotherapy for aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Coiffier B
- Issue date: 2004 Feb
- The effect of optimal treatment on elderly patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: more patients treated with unaffected response rates.
- Authors: Peters FP, Fickers MM, Erdkamp FL, Wals J, Wils JA, Schouten HC
- Issue date: 2001 Jul
- Human constitutive androstane receptor agonist DL5016: A novel sensitizer for cyclophosphamide-based chemotherapies.
- Authors: Liang D, Li L, Lynch C, Mackowiak B, Hedrich WD, Ai Y, Yin Y, Heyward S, Xia M, Wang H, Xue F
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- First-line R-CVP versus R-CHOP induction immunochemotherapy for indolent lymphoma with rituximab maintenance. A multicentre, phase III randomized study by the Polish Lymphoma Research Group PLRG4.
- Authors: Walewski J, Paszkiewicz-Kozik E, Michalski W, Rymkiewicz G, Szpila T, Butrym A, Giza A, Zaucha JM, Kalinka-Warzocha E, Wieczorkiewicz A, Zimowska-Curyło D, Knopińska-Posłuszny W, Tyczyńska A, Romejko-Jarosińska J, Dąbrowska-Iwanicka A, Gruszecka B, Jamrozek-Jedlińska M, Borawska A, Hołda W, Porowska A, Romanowicz A, Hellmann A, Stella-Hołowiecka B, Deptała A, Jurczak W
- Issue date: 2020 Mar